Handset firmware update

jambouk

I'm trying to update the firmware on a Skywatcher SynScan handset for someone, but failing.

I've got a USB-serial lead and can easily detect two other handsets and update them, but this one is just refusing to connect; "Cannot connect to Synscan handset" is the error message.

As I say the system works for other handsets, and I'm not doing anything different as far as I can tell. I've done a factory reset on the handset, reduced the transfer rate to all possible options (though it's never connected so not sure that would help), cleaned the connections, looked inside the handset... it just refuses. It comes up with version 1.7 on the screen like all the other handsets, and is a 03.06 handset again like one other which works. The current firmware is v3.27 and I've tried v3.36 and v3.37 but again it never connects. I've tried three different computers.

Any suggestions as to why this one handset won't connect?

Thanks

James

Just had a look inside again and there doesn't seem to be any dry solder joints behind the middle port where the serial-USB update lead goes, and no solder bridges. The handset connects to the motor controller OK. I've managed to break the solder joint on the neutral wire to the LCD on my own handset when comparing the two, but that will be easy to fix.

My feeling is there is a physical fault with the handset (the socket for updating or something related to that). He will have to stick with v3.27 which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

James

When I've updated my handset it always says," Cannot connect to handset."  

I ignore this notice and it always connects on a second attempt on any version.

Don't know why that is but it works for me.

Yes, I've noticed that too; I tell everyone about that when I've updated them for others. This one just keeps doing it, time after time, after time... :( Annoying. I managed to update his motor controller firmware though using my handset as a conduit. 

James

Hi,

I had this same problem. I was pulling my hair out, setting my synscan and serial adaptor to all sorts of different settings. Nothing worked.

I could guide the scope but no matter what I did, I couldn't update the synscan software. I thought it was windows 8.1 so got a serial conector for that version of wndows but still no good.

Then I read the instructions carefully.

I have the v.3 synscan.

This is what you do:

1) firstly press down the 0 button and 8 button together (whilst the main square unit is SWITCHED OFF)

2) whllst still pushing both buttons in, turn on synscan unit and you will then be in firmware upgrade mode.

The software on your PC will now identify your synscan system and firmware version and allow you to upgrade.

Do not switch off whilst upgrade in progress.

Clear skies.

Hi,

I had this same problem. I was pulling my hair out, setting my synscan and serial adaptor to all sorts of different settings. Nothing worked.

I could guide the scope but no matter what I did, I couldn't update the synscan software. I thought it was windows 8.1 so got a serial conector for that version of wndows but still no good.

Then I read the instructions carefully.

I have the v.3 synscan.

This is what you do:

1) firstly press down the 0 button and 8 button together (whilst the main square unit is SWITCHED OFF)

2) whllst still pushing both buttons in, turn on synscan unit and you will then be in firmware upgrade mode.

The software on your PC will now identify your synscan system and firmware version and allow you to upgrade.

Do not switch off whilst upgrade in progress.

Clear skies.

I believe the OP does know how to update the synscan firmware. The problem is that this particular handset is not cooperating.

Managed to eventually install that alternative driver - overly complicated or what!!!

Has made no difference. Two other handsets work plumb normally, this one just won't let the laptop find it. I do think there is a problem with the jack I'm plugging the update lead into. I don't have a PC with a serial port or another USB-serial adapter. Though I can't see why it would all work on about 10 other handsets I've updated, but not on this one, which appears to be the same as all the others in terms of versions and existing firmwares other than 3.27.

It still works, so the chap will just have to cope with v3.27 which is fine, just lacks a few things like the handset polar alignment routine. He said he doesn't mind if it doesn't get updated.

Thanks for your help guys. I'm off to solder the broken lead back into my handset now.

James

There is an option on the handset when in update mode to vary the baud rate, press setup button and the lcd shows 'lo' for slower speed. It toggles between 'lo', 'mi' and blank.  Though the update takes a while longer to run if set to 'lo'.

Did notice that it connects each time when set to ''lo' but like others if left blank it gives a cannot connect message the first time but connects the second time.

May be worth a try.

I tried the hi / lo option, made no difference. I think that is only relevant if it does connect in the first instance, but drops out.

I tookj the handset apart again, and one of mine. I put a multimeter over the solder joints. On mine, the blue dot is +11v, the red one is -9v (abouts). Repeated the tests on the faulty handset and the blue one is fine, but the red one has no voltage at all, 0. Tried to re-solder it, hoping it might just be a dry joint, but I don't have a solder sucker to take the whole socket off. I put a blob of solder on and it's made no difference. I'll give it back to the chap and say if he is really keen to get the handset updated, he will need to get someone to replace the middle socket as I think that will solve the issue.

Thanks again.

James

post-25543-0-82177400-1431272952_thumb.j

Archived