Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to find a Dark Sky Site?

Hi all,

I've been searching through the forum for any advice on how to determine a good dark sky site.

I live in Liverpool and so I feel I need to get away from city lights to really enjoy my telescope properly. Is there anyone on here who could recommend a good and safe site in and around north Liverpool?

If not what factors should I be looking out for when determining a good and safe site?

thanks for any help received

Clear Skies

Hi all,

I've been searching through the forum for any advice on how to determine a good dark sky site.

I live in Liverpool and so I feel I need to get away from city lights to really enjoy my telescope properly. Is there anyone on here who could recommend a good and safe site in and around north Liverpool?

If not what factors should I be looking out for when determining a good and safe site?

thanks for any help received

Clear Skies

im not to far from you and i have to travel quite far to get away from the light dome of liverpool.snowdonia is great and not that far. pm me if you need any info

im not to far from you and i have to travel quite far to get away from the light dome of liverpool.snowdonia is great and not that far. pm me if you need any info

Thanks I'll give you a shout when I look to plan a trip down that way!

First is what is a dark site?

It is very difficult to estimate that bit.

One option is look for a nature or RSPB reserves.

They tend to have a road in often parking of one sort or another and little in the way of lights.

Not sure about the light pollution maps, I think they are more a statistical estimate of light pollution based on population. One small village on the maps that I drive through is down for LP but the place actually has no street lights at all in in. When it gets dark that place is really dark. You really are driving on full beam to see anything or anybody. But having a population it is on the LP map. Cambridge is a good example, it "ends" at the M11 on the Western edge and the LP drops off a lot, but not so according to the maps. Best idea is to assume everything is a guide only.

Reservoirs are another option, preferably around the edge no in one. Graffam Water west of me is fairly good.

With regards the safe part of your question, I think the only way of achieving this is to go with other people; safety in numbers.  Having said that, i always go out to sites on my own and I feel reasonable comfortable about it.  I have had one or two occasions when a car full of drunks have turned up in the car par I have set up in, but other than being a pain in the butt with the head lights, they have been fine.  Show them a few galaxies on the computer screen (I tend to do imaging more than observing), let them look through the binoculars and point out some of the more obvious things in the sky and they have been happy.  On the other hand, I could see things turning nasty if the wrong lot turn up as I am sat there with £6K plus worth of kit, and just a little LED torch for protection.  I would definitely recommend going as a group, but I prefer solitude and like getting out on my own for the peace & quiet :).

Archived