Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSOs to look for?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cheers all, valuble information. I figured filters were all the same just different qualities/manufacturers.

So I have a moon filter already which filter would anyone recommend? Lets not go nuts please with pricing. :smiley:

Light pollution - bortle scale is probably more 7 than 6.

Using Skywatcher 250px solid tube.

When it comes to observing deep space the best thing you can do is get out to some dark site as and when possible. Of course, that isn't always feasible and so I find the other best way of observing, or getting the most out of an object is to place it in a lowish power eyepiece and to ask yourself some basic questions about it.

These questions could include stuff like:

What am I looking at?

What have I read or seen of this object that can inform my observation?

What shape does it seem to have?

How many stars can I see in my field of view? What colour are they? Are there differing intensities of brightness between them?

How does the object's appearance change as I flip from direct to averted vision and back again?

When I move away from the eyepiece to relax my eye what I can recall about the object? Was there anything distinct that struck me?

I'll then up the magnification again, and ask a few more questions:

How has the image changed?

How many stars have now been cut away?

Has anything in the image become dimmer or lighter?

Has the object itself changed in any fashion?

Are there any new patterns to be seen within it?

Are given areas of my new field of view more pronounced than others?

If I close and relax my eye away from the eyepiece can I picture the object there 'within'?

I'll then up the magnification to the optimum power, that which gives the clearest image at the highest magnification possible and go through the same questions as above. It is important not to hold back and have fear of magnification. Sure, many DSOs don't like too much power, but you'll be surprised how many do and there's only one way to find out.

In my case, getting to know the object is the trick of asking myself questions about the object; to not only start to appreciate the subtle detail and complexity therein but also to have a general picture of how the object is framed within my eyepieces and my mind.

From there, I'll typically go back to one of my middling eyepieces (90x or 125x) and start a little sketch with a bit of chalk dust or pencil.

Of course this method isn't always appropriate but from time to time I do think it is good practice to slow down and observe rather than merely look and then skip on to the next object.

Regarding filters, in my own case I'm not particularly keen on them. I find they're great for solar, but for evening viewing I typically prefer to be without. Needless to say, others will be of differing opinion and therein lies the beauty of variety and experiment. 

When it comes to galaxies, I have only found M 33 and M 101 revealing a tad more with a UHC-S filter. I've never tried but perhaps M 31 will also surrender a little detail. The UHC-S and no doubt a OIII filter will help bring out some of the hydrogen regions within these galaxies. By way of exmaple, here's a sketch I did of M 33 from the roof top and as can be seen, it reacted rather well to the UHC-S:

post-21324-0-88599700-1413760747.jpg

Archived