SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSOs to look for?

After looking at the moon and Jupiter with a freshly collimated scope I think i'm ready to look for some DSOs.

My garden is a bit blocked off to the east with trees and also to the west low down with the house. I've seen the beehive cluster as that's an easy one. I really struggled to get the one in the plough as it is so high up and the scope is almost horizontal.

Is there a guide anywhere on finding the Messiers easily?

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that case may I suggest an excellent first time DSO for you, M13, The "Great Globular Cluster" It gave me a big wow moment when I first saw it!

If your out tonight point your scope roughly east and find the constellation Hurcules, near the top of the constellation is what's called the Keystone, it's roughly half way between the two bright stars of Arcturus and Vega. The keystone is a formation of the four stars that I think make up the "head" between the top two stars in your viewfinder you will see what looks.like a large dim hazy star, that's M13! Probably best viewed at medium / high power.

I agree that M13 in Hercules would be a great target, once it has cleared your trees. In the same constellation and not too far from M13 is another fine globular cluster, M92. Two of the best globular clusters in the northern sky in the same constellation :smiley:

Here is a finder chart for these objects:

post-118-0-95718100-1430082564.jpg

I agree that M13 in Hercules would be a great target, once it has cleared your trees. In the same constellation and not too far from M13 is another fine globular cluster, M92. Two of the best globular clusters in the northern sky in the same constellation :smiley:

Here is a finder chart for these objects:

Cheers John.. will have to check if these clear my trees.

While its in my mind- a question... Are there things in the southern hemisphere that us here in the northern will never see?

....While its in my mind- a question... Are there things in the southern hemisphere that us here in the northern will never see?

Lots I think, including the finest globular cluster in the sky Omega Centauri, the Megallanic Clouds and plenty more. Still we do pretty well up here so can't complain :smiley:

I don't have the link, if you google Turn Left at Orion, there's a PDF file of the 2000 edition on the internet you can download.

Having done so myself, I think I'll buy a hard copy. It was worth looking through the PDF to see what you are getting for your money (i.e. a lot of useful stuff)

Richard

The southern hemisphere has many elements that we'll never see here, especially closer to the southern pole.

Occasionally there are a few elements near their horizon that will dip and show themselves briefly towards our horizon but generally stay too low down for any useful DSO viewing due to viewing through thicker atmospherics , light pollution and warm air currents from houses and such. It goes the same for them to, I believe that such northern constellations as Ursa Major and Cassiopeia near our pole never get viewed from the far south.

If you were to live on the earth's equator however, you can see the best of both worlds with the exception of the polar regions which would constantly spin around near there eastern/western horizons.

Depending on the hour you start observing, within reason, you might want to check out some of these Messier objects:

Around 10pm-ish: M40, M65, M66, M95, M96, M97, M105, M106, M108, M109.

After Midnight-ish: M49, M51, M61, M63, M64, M85, M94, M101, M102, M104.

Needless to say, with the full Moon creeping up, you might have some comprmises to contend with.

Depending on the hour you start observing, within reason, you might want to check out some of these Messier objects:

Needless to say, with the full Moon creeping up, you might have some comprmises to contend with.

Thanks.

What is the effect of the full moon? Just making them harder to find? Or actually obscuring them totally?

Thanks.

What is the effect of the full moon? Just making them harder to find? Or actually obscuring them totally?

I was like you, eager to find DSOs and they are mindblowing when you see them! :)  The moon however is a total game changer...it obscures plenty of galaxies, nebulas etc... you can still get away with some open clusters..

Thanks.

Generally, I don't find it that conducive to go deep sky observing - galaxies, nebulae, planetaries etc - between the first quarter and the last quarter of the Moon. Just like human made light pollution, the Moon brightens the sky and snatches from you the essential contrast needed to hunt out and observe faint objects. However, at such a time the planets and double stars and of course the Moon itself won't be affected.

Without hijacking the thread what effect does light pollution have on these, how many are practical from the midlands?

Without hijacking the thread what effect does light pollution have on these, how many are practical from the midlands?

There are many light pollution filters on the market to enhance the viewing of DSO's, Broadband LP Filters UHC and Oiii narrowband. Artificial light (street lights) and especially the moon highly reduces contrast, and as most galaxies and nebula are incredibly faint anyway they would be washed out and hard to spot, these filters help to increase contrast by filtering out alot of the unwanted stray light, although I don't think much can be done about a full moon at apex. To get the best in observing DSO'S, nothing can beat observing from a truly dark sight.

I've yet to use a filter that works on galaxies and clusters but the O-III and UHC type do help increase the contrast of nebulae. They can't work magic though - observing away from light pollution will make more difference than a filter can.

Yes as john said which I failed to mention, UHC and the Oiii are usually intended for observations of nebula, and would probably only dim the light from galaxies, sorry if my comment was misleading.

Aah You can actually use an UHC or an O-III filter to try and observe some extragalactic nebulae in other galaxies. M33 and M101 both have HII regions in them that can be observed. You may find that a nebula filter can help pick these out. 

Good hunting and clear skies :)

Aah You can actually use an UHC or an O-III filter to try and observe some extragalactic nebulae in other galaxies. M33 and M101 both have HII regions in them that can be observed. You may find that a nebula filter can help pick these out. 

Good hunting and clear skies :)

Yes thats true Steve.

Now who's misleading who?! :-D Extragalactic Nebulae?? Gonna have to try that one, as soon as the Lumicon comes through the door ;-)

I've seen the brighter Hii regions in M33 with my 12" dob under dark skies. I wasn't using a filter then though, the skies were just nice and dark  :smiley:

Under light polluted skies just spotting M33 is a challenge !

Archived