Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Crayford Focuser

The new Skywatcher Crayford focuser is designed as a direct replacement/upgrade for the rack & pinion focuser originally supplied with the SkyWatcher (also Celestron, Orion(US) and Helios) 200mm & 250mm Newtonian Reflector Telescopes.

Skywatcher_crayford_focuser.jpg

Accepts both 1.25" and 2" standard format eyepieces.

Features adjustable tension and locking clamp.

Looking good - is this item a little more "precise" than the R&P that comes with the SW Dobs? The focuser in the 10" I have is quite "sloppy", making it hard to collimate precisely. Also, are the EP's gripped with compression rings or screws?

At £59 quid, it's a steal if the above issues are solved.

I have one of these (well it looks exactly like it so I assume it's the same :() focusers on my Orion(US) XT8 and I think is pretty good. The only other focuser I have is the R & P focuser on a Skywatcher ST80 so it a bit tricky to compare, but the one on the XT8 is very good and smooth and copes with a fair bit of weight (DSLR etc). The only negative is it's not dual speed.

Sam

Looking good - is this item a little more "precise" than the R&P that comes with the SW Dobs? The focuser in the 10" I have is quite "sloppy", making it hard to collimate precisely. Also, are the EP's gripped with compression rings or screws?

Sorry Xunil, have only just spotted your question :oops:

The new Crayford focuser offers a smoother action with finer control and zero backlash. It uses a regular thumb-screw arrangemant, not a compression-ring.

HTH

Sorry Xunil, have only just spotted your question :oops:

The new Crayford focuser offers a smoother action with finer control and zero backlash. It uses a regular thumb-screw arrangemant, not a compression-ring.

HTH

No worries Steve :(

I think I'm going to hold out for one of those moonlight's you sell, although for the price I think these are pretty cool.

Terry,

You could always pick up a 2" to 1.25" adaptor with compression ring. This would eliminate the possibility of the focuser marking your eyepieces, (unless you are looking to use 2" ones). They are also pretty inexpensive.

Just a thought...

Lee.

Archived