NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone use radio to stay in contact with other stargazers?

Peje

sorry for delay in replying. I have no idea what band (probably Queen :p ) Our technical wizards dealt with that.

Another tool I use for group communication on my iphone that goes to all society members is an app called group text. I send out alerts ranging from Dark site observing at short notice to requests for help. again it may do what you want as messaging is virtually instantaneous

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/group-text!/id377826584?mt=8

Group Text is also available for Android so it's a viable option.

Does anyone else want to weigh in regarding which app to use?

Group Text

GroupMe

Google Hangouts

Another suggestion?

Do you think such a thing exists with free mobile app support? I certainly have the hardware here to support such a server.

There are IRC clients for just about everything, but I don't know if they're all free.  It might work quite nicely though with multiple channels, one for general chatter and others for more targeted information.  There are free IRC server implementations, but I'm only aware of ones that are UNIX/Linux-based.

James

@austinR, I think you would be surprised at how many astronomers used to be ham radio fanatics. E-mail, internet & instant messaging has just about killed off the amateur radio licensing. It used to be a very  extensive test and a cw test (basic ham license gained 1975, cw passed in 1983!)...

Offshoot is using ham gear to detect meteorites :-- http://www.popastro.com/meteor/observingmeteors/radioobserving/index.php

Ham radio pretty cheap now :grin: .

There are IRC clients for just about everything, but I don't know if they're all free. It might work quite nicely though with multiple channels, one for general chatter and others for more targeted information. There are free IRC server implementations, but I'm only aware of ones that are UNIX/Linux-based.

James

Linux is grand, I can setup a Ubuntu (or equiv) VM on my main server. Anyone out there experienced in the setup? I'll have a hoak for some guides online but could be useful to have someone else who knows the ins and outs

I think that two-way radio enables true real time communication in a way that mobile phones or any other internet based service will ever do.

Each one has its own space. Mobile calls or Internet based services require the communication to be established first and then typing something (on text based comms). This introduces a lot of time waste. On two way radio I can talk to people as if they were near me all the time.

I currently use cheap walkie talkies to talk to my wife indoor. Quick, immediate exchanges (e.g. Dinner's ready, I'm going to bed etc. :))

I think talking over radios with a few astronomy buddies would be a lot of fun and very useful. Wether patterns, satellites, incoming airplanes, tech glitches could be discussed immediately at a flick of a switch. Every evening could be like a star party minus the people tripping over your kit.

• Like 2

The advent of quality mobile phones on unlimited minutes and texts have just about killed it ! The skill in talking to someone on the other side of the world using a few watts erp is being lost.

In order to accomplish the above, you would need each person to have completed basic license test, a couple of hundred quids worth of radio transceiver, aerial and cables. All on the same frequency, all operating within licence conditions :grin: ... Conference call on your mobile....

• Like 1

I think that two-way radio enables true real time communication in a way that mobile phones or any other internet based service will ever do.

Each one has its own space. Mobile calls or Internet based services require the communication to be established first and then typing something (on text based comms). This introduces a lot of time waste. On two way radio I can talk to people as if they were near me all the time.

I currently use cheap walkie talkies to talk to my wife indoor. Quick, immediate exchanges (e.g. Dinner's ready, I'm going to bed etc. :))

I think talking over radios with a few astronomy buddies would be a lot of fun and very useful. Wether patterns, satellites, incoming airplanes, tech glitches could be discussed immediately at a flick of a switch. Every evening could be like a star party minus the people tripping over your kit.

I do agree with all you say, but....

The advent of quality mobile phones on unlimited minutes and texts have just about killed it ! The skill in talking to someone on the other side of the world using a few watts erp is being lost.

In order to accomplish the above, you would need each person to have completed basic license test, a couple of hundred quids worth of radio transceiver, aerial and cables. All on the same frequency, all operating within licence conditions :grin: ... Conference call on your mobile....

no expense, no qualifications...

it's hard to argue with the logic.

Why not just ude CB radio on a pre arranged channel?

The problem is distance, I've pretty much accepted that unless we go for something IP based then us folk in N.Ireland are out. Also I believe CB required a license (possibly not test though)

Requires licence and still regulated, un-regulated cb used to occupy  frequencies around the 10m band. You could on 20w at night achieve long distances. The 27Mhz range is full of rc and regulated fm cb. The 10m band Is also one of the easiest frequencies to produce homebrew (user made) kit.

One of the best frequencies for local c25Miles contact is 144Mhz, though with cross band repeating you can achieve distances. There are other methods to  achieve distance, but the geekdom goes up a notch! :grin: ..(trop-e, trans-p...)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

40m, 60m or 80m would be more suitable for 'inter G' contacts.  At the moment 80m is open inter G during the daytime. This should cover the whole of the UK and Eire.  60m is also an option, but only if you have a full amateur licence.