Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coronado on Sale or Lunt regular price

theschack2

Ive been looking at Solar telescopes for some time and sort of forgot about them until I received an email from Meade about coronado going on sale. After reading the forums I feel hooked again.

What are your feelings between the following.

Coronado 90mm solarmax 2 doublestack with 30mm blocking filter for $5400 after 20% off

Coronado 90mm solarmax 2 doublestack with 15mm blocking filter for $4800 after 15% off

Coronado 60mm solormax 2 doublestack with 15mm blocking filter for $2124 after $375 off

Lunt 80mm doublestack with 18mm blocking filter, pressure tuning and regular focuser for 5100 regular price.

Is the 90mm Coronado so big and bulky I won't want to use it as much as a 60mm. I can't seen to find size and weight for the 90mm anywhere, but the 60mm weighs 6lbs. Does it do that much of a better job than the 60mm for twice the price.

Probably will want to image with it.

Thanks for any input.

I unfortunately have not owned the scopes you are looking at so can't help much, hopefully someone else can. I have a SolarMax 60 and use a Daystar Quark hydrogen-alpha "eyepiece" in various refractors, from 60mm to 120mm aperture.

My main needs for observing and imaging are two scopes: one for grab and go (about 60-80mm aperture) and one as my "big gun" for home. For me I like the big gun to be about 100mm or more, I really like the finer details it can resolve.

Some may feel the Lunt 80 is a neat compromise, quite a flexible option that can give you a fair bit of detail while still being quite portable.

Personally if going Lunt and keeping in mind I have not used them and would want to do more research, the Lunt 50 and the Lunt 100 would look to suit my needs. I would ideally want them double stacked at some point but for me, that could be done at a later date after funds have recovered!! :-o

I hope that's of some help. My budget did not let me consider the Lunt 100 so I went Quark and am very happy with it, it performs better than I dared hope given its price.

Thanks.  Don't think I can do two scopes at this time, money probably better spent elsewhere. Haven't call Lunt to see how long the 80mm will be on backorder so leaning toward Coronado which I can get now.  Worried the 90mm will be so big I will use it less. Maybe I should get the 60mm and If I really like it then later go big. Thats not a bad thought!

I'm VERY surprised to hear the Coronado SM90 is currently available from stock.

We've been trying to get a Warranty replacement SM90 etalon since September last year. Meade/ Coronado say they are waiting on them coming into stock!!!!!

Hi,

I do not have a Solar scope.......

I am currently reviewing the marketplace, I am tending towards Lunt scopes.

Neil at

http://www.tringastro.co.uk/hydrogen-alpha-solar-telescopes-288-c.asp

Is advising on the options available. If you plan to do imaging then Lunt with a Pressure Tuner would given even focus across the field.

The Feather Touch focuser will allow for carrying a weighty camera, I think they are using Starlight equipment.

Neil does have some in stock, ie actually on display in the shop.

As you live in Bedfordshire, Tring is not too far, just give Neil a phone call to ensure that they are open before going.

I agree with Luke, the double etalon can be added later.

I looked through a number of solar scopes at SGL, they were all interesting and the owners were very accommodating!

Let us know which one you are going for.

Cheers

Adrian

I ideally wanted Lunt 60 but went SM60 as it was on sale at the time and was a fair bit cheaper than the Lunt. I like the SM60, it is quite chunky and heavy for the size, the one thing I find annoying about it is the helical focuser, it's not the best. However, it does work, and I have heard a few grumbles about the standard Crayford on the Lunt 60, so am not sure that is perfect either.

Of course the Feathertouch upgrade is very nice on the Lunt 60, but I find it a lot extra for a 60mm scope that will be used for h-a only. I have a Feathertouch on my ED120 scope and can console myself that it gets used for regular astro as well as solar h-alpha with the Quark and for white light with a Herschel wedge, so I feel I get more mileage out of it than I would on a Lunt 60.

Starting smaller sounds a good idea, should give you an idea how much you might want to invest longer term, and whether you really do want to go larger.

I have owned a Lunt 60 with a B600 blocking filter, great scopes, very well built and they deliver great views.

As Luke mentioned the Crayford focuser that comes with them is not the best in the world when used with a camera hanging off it. However, for visual it is pretty much spot on and I had no problems with it whatsoever, the focuser is a dual focuser and the fine adjustment works great with no issues at all.

If it is advice you want then I would go for the Quark Chromosphere,

Negatives with the Quark:-

• They need an external power supply and this can be AC mains or a portable battery pack resulting in a slower set up time. This has not affected me but with the Lunt you are talking seconds as apposed to 5-10 minutes with the Quark
  • The quality has been a bit hit and miss ( mine has been fine)
  • There is nothing that can really go wrong with the Lunt and this has been proven over many years
  • You have to be selective which scope you get if you want to see a full solar disc

Positives with the Quark:-

• Even if you are starting from scratch and have to buy a refractor you will save quite a bit of cash, even if compared to a basic 60mm Lunt.
  • You will also have a scope that can also be used for night time viewing
  • The views are superior to the 60mm I owned
  • The heater can be switched on whilst you are setting up and as a result this has not made much difference to my viewing experience
  • There is no sweet-spot when observing across the whole of the solar disc
  • Some of the detailed images I have seen are nothing short of fantastic

I have tried to be as unbiased as possible and the above findings are based on what I have experienced, at the end of the day it is your call :laugh: you will not be disappointed which ever choice you make.

Well, after almost placing an order for the Lunt 100mm, late last night I ordered the Coronado 60DS with 15mm blocking filter. My reasoning was to get something portable(I've gone too big in the past), see if I like solar viewing, take advantage of the Coronado sale and maybe in the future go big with a Lunt. Thanks for the input. It really did help. Business has been good to me this year. The Lunt 152 is not out of the question if I really like daytime viewing. Having the portable one first I think is a good idea.

Archived