NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Messiers list v write and sketch

hi there could i have some advice on how to record my stargazing objects i need a messiers list but dont know where to get on from and are they hard to read i have been told to just take a note pad with me and write what i see and try to draw it but i am new to this and so excited i dont have time to draw, Does the messiers list have diagrams to show you what you should be looking at cheers stephen

hi there could i have some advice on how to record my stargazing objects i need a messiers list but dont know where to get on from and are they hard to read i have been told to just take a note pad with me and write what i see and try to draw it but i am new to this and so excited i dont have time to draw, Does the messiers list have diagrams to show you what you should be looking at cheers stephen

As Richard says, an app such as Sky Safari or you could do worse and purchase the book entitled 'Turn left at Orion' especially if you are new to observing.

To record your observations a note book might be handy. To get some idea of what you could produce, check out this.

Messier lists are quite common on the web. But to get the ball rolling you might find the following helpful:

Messier Catalog

Messier List

Messier Maps with Telrad Circles

Messier Finder Charts

If you have any problems reading or understanding these, just let us know. Needless to say, a Star Atlas would also be handy to have when planning and doing your sessions.

I understand that it is fun to run about the sky picking off objects, but from time to time it is also a good idea to slow down and really observe what you are looking at. I feel sketching is a great way of training the eye to see better.

Final point to the last question, to see what the Messier objects might look like at the eyepiece, check on the web or SGL for reports and sketches.

Hope this helped :grin:

Are you working from star charts? Generally I plan out a session's goals beforehand with these and as such I have a rough idea of what I'm looking for (something like a brief description of their brightness shape and colour).

A list with pictures is the one on Wikipedia, google for "list of messier objects"

You can reorder and there are images of each.

You can save the chart they have as a table and then add a column or two for dates and other details, not however I suspect a sketch. For that you need something more like a page to each Messier.

Not sure if this (Wikipedia) was one given earlier.

Archived