Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Flare 18.40 ish???

Stu

I popped out for a very quick look at the sun just now, before it disappeared behind the houses. I noticed a very bright active region fairly central but in the lower half of the disk. I had not noticed this earlier, and it seemed to fade from its maximum quite quickly.

I assume it was a flare?? Anyone else see it?

Here's what SpaceWeather has on it:

GEOMAGNETIC STORM SPARKS AURORAS: A CME expected to hit Earth's magnetic field on April 9th did not arrive on time. The geomagnetic storm started without it. Prompted by unsettled conditions in the solar wind, a G2-class storm erupted during the early hours of April 10th, sparking auroras as far south as Colorado. Storming could intensify later today if the tardy CME eventually arrives and delivers a geoeffective impact. Monitor the photo gallery for updates. Aurora alerts:

More info here:

http://www.spaceweather.com/

Supposed to rain all day but be warm. Small consolation after a record-breaking Winter here.

Clear Skies - With Luck,

Dave

Archived