Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kite parts for making a shroud?

I am experimenting with making a lightweight shroud for the top end of my telescope

I have got some lightweight kite fabric, which looks promising.

Looking at kite suppliers, there seem to be components available that can be used to link rods together to make the kite structure and I think these might be useful in making a shroud.

My problem is this: all the kite suppliers I have been able to find on Google or Bing have frustrating web sites that are completely useless for finding what sizes and shapes of kite-connector are available :angry5:

So my question is:

Does anyone know of a kite website that actually tells you things you might want to know?

...by which I mean hole sizes and outside dimensions (as opposed to vague descriptions) and, the holy grail, engineering drawings :angel4: .

Don't people use lycra/spandex nowadays? I guess both types of material work equally well if you sew it properly.

Ive used both Kite material and Lycra. Lycra is heavier but seems to fit better and in my experience blocks out the light better and it also looks great. Ive ordered lycra for my latest project.  But if your aim is to keep weight down then i would go for for kite material. 

@martin_h

Thanks for those links but they are some of the sites I was complaining about. They are not as useful as they look at first

@ Everyone else

PLEASE STOP making posts about fabrics :police: . I am looking for information about connectors :icon_scratch: and would prefer if this thread did not morph into something completely different...<John Cleese Smiley>

Archived