NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 6th April - chuffed

gajjer

Well the intention was to do a quick run on Jupiter with a webcam I've been working on. I have just mounted it in a better case and wanted to run it with Firecapture.

Well as is always the case with my clear nights it started with chaos. I just could not get Jupiter into frame. I mean, come on its only ten times bigger than the earth!

I was using my SW 200 with a 2x barlow. Eventually I got it. Then the joy of learning the functionality of the software on the spot. I know I know that is what I should have done

on a previous night, but in my defense it was a Bank Holiday - who expects a good night on a Bank Holiday? Anyhow, things looked good at first. Looked like I would get 

better resolution than with my DFK but it was at the slowest frame rate. Pulse starts to race - it's the GRS. I have never managed to get the GRS on the few occasions I

have imaged Jupiter. So what could be better than for the software to crash just as I try to change the frame rate. Well a few choice words were exchanged I can tell you.

Don't panic ignore the call of the bladder and get the DFK. Well that is what I did and all was well.

So here is the fruit of my 'window of opportunity.

Not great but it has the GRS, two moons and the shadow of a moon.

Chuffed

cheers gaj

jup_6_040005b.tif

Archived