Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO - Problem!

Hi,

A few days ago I bought the Skywatcher HEQ5 mount.

After setting it up and connecting to the power source, when I switched the mount on I heard a buzzing noise followed by a popping noise and smoke.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Does anybody know what the problem could be and how I might fix it?

Tony

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the polarity of the power supply was incorrect, if you have it still around then check that it is (I think centre positive with a multi meter) and a capacitor has gone.

There is no protection against this and it happens to some poor whatsit a few times a year.

I suspect a board is dead/fried and that you need a new one.

When it goes then normally a couple of other components get killed as well, so not a case of finding and replacing the dead cap.

Suspect this is not what you wanted to read.

Hi Tony,

That is not good news but it sound like you have connected the power with the wrong polarity.

What power source were you using... the plug that goes into the mount should be TIP POSITIVE... if you got this the wrong way round then you may have damaged the control board... sadly there is no reverse polarity protection on these mounts.

Sounds likely to be the problem I am sorry to say.

If this was not the case, and the mount is new, then perhaps a word with your supplier is in order since it may have been a faulty mount.

Hope you get it sorted.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

Hi

I was using a 12v 5amp portable power pack did everything right..... Would warranty cover it? It is only 2days old the mount sky cleared up and thought I'd give it a run..

Turned on the power started to smoke then a phuf sound... Would it an expensive fix?.

I am absolutely gutted

Hi Tony,

There is no info on that power supply to indicate output polarity... some can be set, others can't... the cable would only be correct at the mount end if the input end was correct.

If you have a voltmeter you can check the polarity of the supply output sockets.

If polarity is correct at both ends of your cable then the mount was faulty... send it back.

Best regards

Sandy.

Thank you everyone I will take it back ASAP.... Just unfortunate had rain for 3 days and when it cleared up on the 4th something like this happend..... If it was my fault I pray it's not a expensive fix..... After all I invested a lot of money in the mount ;(

I have just tested my battery back with other devices and they all seem fine so it looks like the mount could have been faulty??? Seriously what are the odds of buying a $1600 mount that's faulty? Rotten luck

I have just tested my battery back with other devices and they all seem fine so it looks like the mount could have been faulty??? Seriously what are the odds of buying a $1600 mount that's faulty? Rotten luck

That is certainly an encouraging sign, however, I would still be inclined to check the output polarity of the battery pack and the wiring of the Synta cable to be sure the tip is actually positive... very easy to do with a cheap multimeter.

There are a lot of other devices that have tip Negative so that would not be a very reliable way of testing.

You should have no problem getting the mount replaced under warranty.

It may be a good idea to take your power pack with you and get the supplier to show the replacement mount working from it before you take it away.

Good luck.

That is certainly an encouraging sign, however, I would still be inclined to check the output polarity of the battery pack and the wiring of the Synta cable to be sure the tip is actually positive... very easy to do with a cheap multimeter.

There are a lot of other devices that have tip Negative so that would not be a very reliable way of testing.

You should have no problem getting the mount replaced under warranty.

It may be a good idea to take your power pack with you and get the supplier to show the replacement mount working from it before you take it away.

Good luck.

I will also get them to fully test my power pack with another mount.... If it was a fault my end would it void the warranty or am I still covered?

Thanks everyone for the help much appreciated!

Tony.

I will also get them to fully test my power pack with another mount.... If it was a fault my end would it void the warranty or am I still covered?

Thanks everyone for the help much appreciated!

Tony.

Hi Tony,

That's a tricky one to answer... if your power supply is correctly outputing at TIP POSITIVE then you should have no problem since everything else is SYNTA, including the cable and will be under warranty.

If the power supply is outputing the wrong polarity then you may be on sticky ground... unless the supply was puchased from the same supplier as being suitable for your mount... in which case the supplier is at fault and must replace everything under the warranty.(That is the law as it stands in the UK... hopefully it's the same in OZ)

If the power supply is from a different source, and is outputing the wrong polarity for your mount, then it could be argued that you are at fault, by not checking the polarity... in which case you could be held liable for replacement/repair costs and the warranty would be void :eek: ... although the replacement should be under it's own warranty.

Hopefully the supply is OK, regardless of where it was purchased, and you should not have any issues with replacement cost or warranty problems.

Good luck with everything.

Best regards.

Hi Tony,

Take a leaf of of Thomas Edison's book... If you have a couple of pieces of spare wire, put the bare ends into a potato and connect the other ends to your power supply, which ever wire is the negative will turn the potato a yellowish colour, how's that for a bit of modern day electrics without a meter. At least you will know whether your rather nice power supply is tip positive :)

Hi Tony,

That's a tricky one to answer... if your power supply is correctly outputing at TIP POSITIVE then you should have no problem since everything else is SYNTA, including the cable and will be under warranty.

If the power supply is outputing the wrong polarity then you may be on sticky ground... unless the supply was puchased from the same supplier as being suitable for your mount... in which case the supplier is at fault and must replace everything under the warranty.(That is the law as it stands in the UK... hopefully it's the same in OZ)

If the power supply is from a different source, and is outputing the wrong polarity for your mount, then it could be argued that you are at fault, by not checking the polarity... in which case you could be held liable for replacement/repair costs and the warranty would be void :eek: ... although the replacement should be under it's own warranty.

Hopefully the supply is OK, regardless of where it was purchased, and you should not have any issues with replacement cost or warranty problems.

Good luck with everything.

Best regards.

So if I use a volt meter I'll know exactly if it's + or - ? If the cord is tip positive then the socket must be positive as well is that correct?

I have good news everyone I took it back and the guys at the shop checked everything my power pack was perfect everything else was.... Problem was the power cord that connect from the mount to the power pack is faulty apparently on rare occasions the wires inside are reversed hence why the board got fried. So they said to me it can be fixed free of charge and will be ready this afternoon with a new board and cable..... Let me tell you what a relief !!! Finally my luck has turned

The end that goes into the mount usually has a removable and reversible tip , it is all too easy to dislodge accidentally when unplugging it , or if the cable gets wrapped up during the course of a session.

I would advise securing the tip with insulating tape so as to prevent it coming adrift and possibly being reattached in reverse again.

Hi Tony,

That is great news and you should be back in business soon.

Steve,

What mount have you got... there is nothing removable or reversible on my HEQ5 pro mount... it's just a standard 2.1mm jack socket... so no risk of any polarity change through use.

It can be pulled out if the cables get tangled but that just turns the mount off... certainly no risk of reverse polarity.

Best regards.

Archived