Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PST Focus

Hi Bernie

When you change any eyepiece in the PST you firstly focus on the outer edge getting it a sharp as possible, you then have to tune it back in as you have changed the viewing conditions as well as the magnification.

Hope that helps mate...

Whilst the PST is wonderful at what it does it is the least easy telescope to focus with. I have found that it can some times take a lot of twiddling to get some EP's to focus. As suggested above concentrate on the edges of the disc. Some times I turn the tuner all the way to the end of its adjustment so the view is without any Ha features and then focus like that until the image is sharp, then tune until the best detail is seen. Also remember that atmospheric turbulence is just as bad in the day as it is at night (and sometimes worse!) so some days are easier than others.

Luke

Will have to turn the focus nob clockwise or anti for a higher mag ep?

I would recommend that you turn the focus knob clockwise first as this will already be near the end of the focusing thread on the focusing knob.

If this doesn't do it then just turn the knob anti clockwise slowly and you WILL get it Bernie no worries... 8)

We found focus a bit annoying at first then read somewhere that a lot of PST users choose their favorite eyepiece focus up for it and then always use it to avoid fiddling. We do this but even then we find - Because of the heat of the sun ? that when first on the sun the image is not quite in focus but after a few minutes the image cleans up.

On the tuning front certainly the fine tuning varies with the suns position up the sky, its brightness etc. But, as we are double stacked we leave the rough alone and use the fine tuner which tend to only need a small adjustment (about a twitches worth on the rough tuner).

The other image problem is that sometimes - presumably due to the English atmosphere being damp - the sun seems to 'boil' if its around noon. This means the viewing seems better before 10am in spring/summer/early autumn but is OK at any time the rest of the year.

This is my fourth summer with a pst and my favourite views have tended to be late in the evening...

say 7ish onwards...and thats for everything DSing or at 80mm...some form of shade will help

views...focusing like everything just takes practice...and which EP suits best is a personal choice.

Brian

If you find it won;t focus at higher magnifications, it is something far more serious though!

The prism alignment on them is rather "iffy" in some models it's perfect (Pete Lawrence's, Dave Gradwells) in most is is a touch off, in some a mile out, and the image is astigmatic...

Archived