Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dilemma over a new scope

Bludgemall

I very much like my AZ3 mount.

I have made a counter weight for it (very cheaply) so that I could put my camera on to ST80 (startavel 80mm) for imaging the Moon.

So a vote here for th AZ3 simple to plonk down and use and then either the ST80 or the Evostar 90. If using it with the heavier Evostar I would be tempted to fashion up a counter weight regardless makes for a balanced experience plus means easier viewing pointing more vertical..

The difference is the Evostar should take higher magnification being longer focal length but the field of view will be narrower than the ST80. The ST80 will have some CA (chromatic aberation) on bright objects Moon and Jupiter though I find my own better quality eye peices greatly reduce it.

If you are going to use this with your grandson a refractor looks more like what they might expect a telescope to be like.

Enjoy choosing.

oh and stellarium is brilliant night sky software which is free to download.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a proper look at the night sky for the first time, thought I would try out my new £2 Pocket Planisphere.

As always, found the Great Bear and used this as a guide to try and find the other constellations in conjunction with the Planisphere.

After much pondering (30 minutes) looking back and forth at the sky and the observer book of astronomy/Planisphere  I discovered Leo, only the second time in my life I've actually ID a constellation (Orion being the other), I am well happy.

I can't get over how big it looks, thought it would be much smaller and yes it does look a bit like a lion.

I think I may have also found Draco, but light pollution wasn't helping so can't be sure.

If your draw a line between Megrez and Phad (Ursa Major) and head towards Leo, before you get to Leo, what are the group of 4 stars called?

After spending more than the usual glance up and the heavens tonight I now realise why damnut suggested a Heritage 130P, after struggling with my 10x50 spotting scope, I now understand the importance of light gathering.  I managed to see more stars with my scope, but to be honest it just confused me more as I didn't have anything of great detail to refer back to.

I think I need to spend more than £2 on a Planisphere, I found it very difficult to ID constellations on the pocket sized vesion, I could do with something clearer to read and with a bit more detail, there's plenty of stars up there tonight I can't ID.

One more thing, isn't light pollution a pain in the ****.

Excellent enjoy.

You can use the murky days to check the red dot finder alignment on a distant tree or aerial (not the sun).

I just use a collimation cap to check my mirrors, in case it moved in transport might be worth checking yours.

Archived