NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quark red filter. How does yours look?

1parsec

Hello, I've just received a new Quark Chromosphere and I'm excited to try it out. Of course it's now raining.....

However looking in to the eyepiece end and at the red filter I can see what looks like a large dent / defect. Its about 3mm in diameter and 4 mm off from the centre.

The overall reflections in the red filter are very distorted across the whole filter.

The photos show the 'dent' by the distorted reflection is a bit difficult to capture.

Is this some thing that's normal or should the red filter look completely flat with no obvious spots / dents ?

Thanks for you help.

Dave.

post-30719-0-16797600-1427367294_thumb.j

post-30719-0-64775800-1427367294_thumb.j

Hi,

It is definatly a defect, I have been looking at getting one of these and have seen lots of images of the item, of the outside and inside at the filters, and yours is not typical of what should be seen.

send it back ASAP for a replacement....

Regards

AB

Hi Dave,

I had three similar dents in my first Quark, I was told later that dimples/ripples are possible and will not necessarily affect the view. Indeed, I have seen a Quark where there were creases and the view did not appear to be affected by the creases at all. Tricky to word it, but see this post:

http://solarchat.natca.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12713

In my case I returned my dimpled Quark because there were a few marks in the eyepiece view, regardless of the dimples (for imaging, it was outstanding). If it was me, I'd give it a spin first but if worried or if you can't test soon, contact your supplier for advice.

Thanks for the information and comments.

I've spoke to the supplier and send the photos too and waiting for the response.

Luke - It's good to hear there may not be a problem, so will give it a spin if the supplier agrees and if the weather allows.

The mark is so obvious it would be amazingly disappointing if it got past Daystar QC and it was a defect failure.

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave,

My Quark has no dimples or creases on the surface of the filter. If  it does not distort the views when looking through it I would not be concerned :smiley:

I am not that far from Banbury and would be more than happy to meet up so we can compare views, this may help put your mind at rest. There is nothing worse than having a new toy and not being pleased with it :smiley: Especially an £800+ toy.

Archived