Canon T5i or EOS 70D?

firozastro

Hi,

I planning to buy a new camera which I would use for my personal interest as well as astro - photography but I am confused which one to buy (I am on a budget ~1300)

T5i ~$900 and EOS Rebel 70D ~$1500 (I can add $200 more), can someone help me take decision among these ?

Beyond the bulb what else I need to buy for imaging? I would like to do wide angle milky way as well as DSO's. 

Thanks!

Firoz

That is quite a price difference between the two.

I have a 1100d so can't offer any thoughts on these two, both are much better cameras but which one is not something I can offer much on.

My 1100 I am happy to use outside and expose to potential dew because it was not expensive, I would not feel as confortable using a really expensive camera for nighttime use.

A intervalometer would be useful.

I like the website dpreview.com as you can select both cmaeras and review the main features side by side.

Depends on what level your photography is, are you new or experienced?

If your new to dslrs the t5i will be a nice start but if your more experienced then go for the 70D.

You should be able to get some good deals with extras thrown in, shop around.

The 70D has more pixels, AF points and other extras, both would be ok for widefield short exposure

astro shots but don't expect stunning astro if you only using a static tripod as your limited to short exposures.

With my 12" Dob I have taken photos of the Sun (white light filter) and Moon using various Canon SLRs including the 450D, 550D and 600D and I expect either model you mention will be suitable. However at the risk of adding further to your choice dilemma, at an event observing the Solar Eclipse last Friday I met up with some astronomers using similar cameras but running free software called Magic Lantern which provide some great extra functionality including an in-built intervalometer which allowed a time lapse of the eclipse to be shot. This may not run (yet) on the latest Canon models you mention. Also Canon have announced even further new models with much greater Pixel counts (750D and 760D). The latter looks like a cross over with the 70D! Oh confusion!

No I am not experienced but I have a 12 inch Dob, also I am planning to make a barn door tracker so that I can counter map the sky...

Thats ok, it's really up to you and how much you want to spend.

I think you would be happy with either camera, if you can get to a shop and handle both cameras

you may get a better idea what fits you.

I have the 700D/T5i, and am more than happy with it as a decent entry level camera.

You mention personal interest I guess daylight photography, if your global budget is fixed then I would opt for the less expensive camera body T5i + EFS IS STM in the knowledge that I could also add in a zoom (70-300 range) a fixed 50mm (nifty fifty) and a timer battery grip + spare batts and extra memory cards, bag and tripod + EOS to T2 adapter ring for the telescope. Which would fit with your 1300 and get you going nicely. (exactly what worked for me).

@Avocette, ML runs just fine on the 700D

Archived