Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LX90 SCT 8" Telescope

They are a decent enough scope but at a focal length of 2 meters would not lend themselves well to DSO photography unless on a much better mount and in the hands of a skill opperator. They are good at Planetary shots like Jupiter, Saturn, Moon, Mars and the like where short exposure is required. I would not want to buy one from the States and I think you will find few will even ship them to the UK, these can be picked up secondhand for very reasonable money.

They do make a wedge for these scopes and I have one though have never used it after paying 560 quid for it, stupid really. They seem solid enough but I personally do not feel the drive is good for long periods. Still someone may well know better than me.

Alan,

They are a decent enough scope but at a focal length of 2 meters would not lend themselves well to DSO photography unless on a much better mount and in the hands of a skill opperator. They are good at Planetary shots like Jupiter, Saturn, Moon, Mars and the like where short exposure is required. I would not want to buy one from the States and I think you will find few will even ship them to the UK, these can be picked up secondhand for very reasonable money.

They do make a wedge for these scopes and I have one though have never used it after paying 560 quid for it, stupid really. They seem solid enough but I personally do not feel the drive is good for long periods. Still someone may well know better than me.

Alan,

Alan thanks for lettng me know - ive got an 8" newt and recent 80mm triplet all on a eq5 synscan - think thats plenty for now - I think my next step maybe a neq6?

The LX90 scopes are very good, I have one, and I use it on a wedge for DSO photography, and get some excellent results, but you ned the f6.3 focal reducer, for it to work.

I also guide it very effectively too, and have had up to 15 minute subs with nice round Stars, the secret with this scope is getting the balance spot on, anything you add to the scope needs to be compensated for with weights on opposite sides, but if you get that right, with a good quality weight balance kit, it will work superbly.

I have a williams optics ZS66 piggybacked which I use for a guide scope and for widefield shots.

AB

A very sincere 'Well done' to those, above, who have made it work. I do personally know several people who gave up trying, though. Indeed, I'm one, and that was with an LX200. 

I reckon the fork and wedge is the hardest system to get into good working order.

Olly

Archived