NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Activities for schools for the eclipse

Helen

I'm working on some resources for kids, primarily for the Eclipse Event in Hereford, but others might find them useful (they should be easily adaptable).  There will be a few more things added over the next 24 hours (I'm working on 3 sun-related posters), but I thought it was worth putting a few up now.

The booklet that will be used in Hereford.  If anyone wants it as a publisher file (I can't upload that file) or a pdf without any of the elements just tell me what you want removed and I'll do it.

Detective final - pdf.pdf

Some observing sheets:

Extra Observation sheets.pdf

Two activities:

Distance and Size for Eclipse.docx

Graphing Activity.docx

I've also designed some stickers to work with standard address labels (14 per page)

Stickers - Ha (done).pdf

Stickers - Quiz (done).pdf

Stickers - used colander (done).pdf

Stickers - white light (done).pdf

More to follow later...

Feedback welcome :smile:

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen,

have you got the "fragment of a mirror" spot on the wall projection method.

or in my case a pencil hole in a card and an alt-az daughter's make-up mirror :)

I did have several web pages about it all back in '99, I wonder if they are still about , ,

(depending on the ages of the students it can lead into resolution, Raylleigh, Airy, diffraction, interference, limiting hole size, contrast,  wave-nature etc&etc :) :) )

and the speckled patterns / images on the ground between the shadows of tree leaves.

Hi Helen,

have you got the "fragment of a mirror" spot on the wall projection method.

or in my case a pencil hole in a card and an alt-az daughter's make-up mirror :)

I did have several web pages about it all back in '99, I wonder if they are still about , ,

(depending on the ages of the students it can lead into resolution, Raylleigh, Airy, diffraction, interference, limiting hole size, contrast,  wave-nature etc&etc :) :) )

and the speckled patterns / images on the ground between the shadows of tree leaves.

Thank you :smile:  Yes, that's on my list to do - the mirrors arrived from amazon this morning

http://www.popastro.com/help/help.php?title_pag=Using+a+mirror+to+view+a+partial+eclipse

Helen

Excellent ! :)

And when the eclipse is over / clouds move away ( < delete as needed ! ) you can use the method for them to see sunspots, surprising how small, detailed it can be.

If I remember right I got a solar disk about 4" and 6" for a projection distance of 20 and 30yds, or thereabouts.

good for watching solar rotation period.

(Well it would have been if we had a better solar max than this one lol! )

Are they front surface ?

If not, like my make-up mirror wasnt, then make a mobile mask to search out better bits of the mirror.

( excuse me if you already know how to suck eggs :) )

Excellent ! :)

And when the eclipse is over / clouds move away ( < delete as needed ! ) you can use the method for them to see sunspots, surprising how small, detailed it can be.

If I remember right I got a solar disk about 4" and 6" for a projection distance of 20 and 30yds, or thereabouts.

good for watching solar rotation period.

(Well it would have been if we had a better solar max than this one lol! )

Are they front surface ?

If not, like my make-up mirror wasnt, then make a mobile mask to search out better bits of the mirror.

( excuse me if you already know how to suck eggs :) )

Useful stuff - learning lots!

Helen

Cheers Helen,

Distributed to all interested parties! :D

Btw, do you have a live feed link too?

Failing that, what links will other SGL members be using?

I probably need a handful anyway, just in case, our county firewall is vicious and doesn't permit all sites.  :embarassed:

We had good skies for the eclipse, hope other people did too (I know Ben did :smile: )

I'll be writing all this up for my project this week (deadline Friday - eek!)  so if anyone has any feedback on what worked well, what less well, how the resources could be improved etc then I'd be very grateful for it.  If there any photos that would be great too (internal use only if any problems with pictures of children).

Many thanks

Helen

Archived