Deep Sky Slacker...

danccat

Hello... got a load of picture files of M42 that DSS is only one framing due to the inability to count the clear imaged stars.  I need the whole picture, not just one section...

Can anyone recommend:-

a) a better stacking system.

B) other options?  I have adjusted the star detection threshold to all kinds of percentages but still nothing.. even tried 'stars and comet stacking' with no change to outcome...

Cheers...

Dan

Hi. DSS will also refuse to stack subs with a low quality score. To check this, once DSS has run one iteration (and you can reduce the threshold way down to like 3%), then click stack  a second time and then cancel in the next window. That will make a review of the quality scores possible. If the scores are low, not much can be done.

Hello... got a load of picture files of M42 that DSS is only one framing due to the inability to count the clear imaged stars.  I need the whole picture, not just one section...

B) other options?  I have adjusted the star detection threshold to all kinds of percentages but still nothing.. even tried 'stars and comet stacking' with no change to outcome...

Cheers...

Dan

Why are you using Comet stacking when you are stacking a DSO???

There's nothing wrong with DSS. I think that you have a mixture of user-error and poor quality subs. If the subs are trailing and unfocused, for example,  then DSS won't do anything to improve them (Garbage In, Garbage Out). if you could please post a sub then we can see what you are working with.

if the subs are poor quality, then you are better off forgetting about stacking and concentrating on the basics- polar alignment, balance, focusing and tracking. It's frustrating, I know, but trying to persevere with poor quality data is pointless.  Get good quality data and each subsequent step is easier. Get poor quality data and each subsequent step becomes harder as the errors magnify.

Archived