Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

monopod adaptor for binos ?

faulksy

hi, i have just bought a soldex monopod fluid . i bought it to fit my revalations 20 x 80 binos. the top of the pod has a square section with a lock/unlock clasp. how can i convert it for my binos. thanks guys/gals

The "square section" sounds like the quick-release mounting plate (if the QR plate is missing, you will need to get one). This should have a 1/4" Whitworth bolt that screws directly to the mounting post on the binocular.

The "square section" sounds like the quick-release mounting plate (if the QR plate is missing, you will need to get one). This should have a 1/4" Whitworth bolt that screws directly to the mounting post on the binocular.

ok thanks, were would i get one from.

If the importer/distributor/dealer is still in business, you could try looking up the brand name, of the monopod, on the internet search engine.

A monopod will NOT give you the kind of "image stabilization" that a 20x binocular requires. 

At 20x magnification a tripod is much better than a monopod overall.

A tripod with a geared center column & a 2 way pan head is a good beginning for a 20x80 giant binocular.

Stan

A tripod with a geared center column & a 2 way pan head is a good beginning for a 20x80 giant binocular.

Sorry, but I have to disagree about that. With straight-through binoculars I find it fine for objects with an altitude up to about 50* but, higher than that, the tripod legs, my legs and (if used) the chair's legs all seem to vie for the same minuscule snippet of spacetime and, unless I am reclined, it's a literal pain in the neck. It is also the case that many tripod heads (eg the Manfrotto 501) only elevate to about 60*, so need to be reversed to go higher than that.

YMMV

A tripod is much superior to any 'monopod', for 20x magnification, when it comes to producing image stabilized views.

Everyone is different when it comes to viewing above 50 degrees with straight through binoculars.

I've been doing it for almost ten years & I have never had any desire for any other type of mounting setup other than my geared tripod & 2 way pan-head. 

The fact that the Manfrotto 501 or 503 heads need to be "reversed" in direction, to achieve +90 degree tilt, is a non-issue.

Stan

Everyone is different when it comes to viewing above 50 degrees with straight through binoculars.

Oh, it's not only that. If there's one thing I've learned in this game it is that, when it comes to observing kit, there are very few, if any, general rules for what any particular observer will prefer. Which is why I tried (but clearly failed :grin: ) to make it clear that what I was stating was my experience and not a general rule.

The fact that the Manfrotto 501 or 503 heads need to be "reversed" in direction, to achieve +90 degree tilt, is a non-issue.

I find that irritating that the reversed handle on the 501 (I've not tried the 503) fouls either the plate release button or the altitude lock. But, as I said, YMMV. :laugh:

Having a tripod which is TALL enough makes ALL the difference, when it comes to ease of viewing the night sky.

Compared to a monopod, you can lean a tripod back on two legs & still have better 'image stability' like-button.jpg

than a one-legged monopod. 

Stan

Sorry, but I have to disagree about that. With straight-through binoculars I find it fine for objects with an altitude up to about 50* but, higher than that, the tripod legs, my legs and (if used) the chair's legs all seem to vie for the same minuscule snippet of spacetime and, unless I am reclined, it's a literal pain in the neck. It is also the case that many tripod heads (eg the Manfrotto 501) only elevate to about 60*, so need to be reversed to go higher than that.

YMMV

I find that with any target over 45~ 50 degrees I prefer to use a £5.00 camping mat on the ground and lay down and observe. I just can not imagine any contraption being comfortable for the neck and the arms for viewing over 50 degrees of elevation.

Regards,

A.G

I just can not imagine any contraption being comfortable for the neck and the arms for viewing over 50 degrees of elevation.

Regards,

A.G

First hand experience vs. "imagination" is the key to better viewing & image stabilization.

The OP is looking for ways to MOUNT his 20x80 giant binoculars.

Hand held is not the answer, when it comes to stability.

Stan

Archived