NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter with Io transit & GRS - none too accurate I fear

ghostdance

Well...my first ever time with a brush so, er, I will improve  - I hope.

Been waiting for my watercolours to arrive so I could finish a sketch made on 26 February - not as easy as I thought! Io's shadow is way too big as is the GRS! I need a finer brush or a finepoint pen I think.

The belt markings are impressionistic rather than actually observed, if that makes sense - and they kind of 'grew' in the colouring so it's not an accurate portrayal. Fun to do tho!

Wondering how w/colours would do on black paper?

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated, and thanks for looking :) 

post-37702-0-36454800-1425855556_thumb.j

Nice sketch Ghostdance, water colour is not the easiest medium to work with.

On black paper first sketch using opaque white and let it completely dry and then use colour on top.

Looking forward to seeing more of your sketches.

Avtar

Great sketch and excellent record of detail. I think this is the first I've seen with a watercolour wash and I really like it.

How long does it take to get the eye in and sketch/record this?

Gorgeous sketch, and excellent amount of detail. I wouldn't know where to start with paints, so can't offer any advice. I've ried colour pencils, but these days prefer just to sketch Jupiter in pencil shades.

I really look forward to more of your work, Ghostdance. I think sketching is really beneficial. It gives something for the hands to do, creates a lovely record of the night and really trains the eye to see better.

Thank you Avtar, Dave, SnakeyJ & Qualia for your very kind comments and advice...I am very new to the whole art of sketching & can't draw for toffee, but have been inspired by members' work on SGL ( take a bow, Avtar & Qualia :) Among others of course ) whose sketches have just been wonderful & intriguing.

I really like sketching - I've been building up to it for quite awhile, & have rediscovered there is something meditative and uniquely rewarding about drawing/colouring. Back to childhood, lol. 

I do need to think about framing, thanks Dave, hmm didn't think black paper would be great for watercolour. I also want to explore pencil/chalk on black but need to hone my drawing skills, lol!

SnakeyJ, I'm pleased you like the watercolour effect - I've often thought of Jupiter as a watercolour planet because of its swirls & eddies. All (he says...) I have to do is record detail better (ie no hulking great Io shadow!) To note the detail I can now pick up on old Jove took quite a few sessions - as Qualia says it is about training your eye. Now I've finally got an observing seat, hopefully that'll mean more 'still' time at the eyepiece...The original sketch was a bit rushed (too much adrenaline after seeing Io transit so clearly. That was a good evening!) but it's been waiting since that night for my paints & a proper sketchbook to arrive.

So, thanks again. Looking forward to doing another...

Still can't draw a horse tho :D

Thank you Marios :)

I have a large softish-lead pencil (no mark, so don't know it's hardness) but it's so nicely blunt I need to get another with a sharper point for detail. And I have to think about a 'blender' (I think?) as all I use is a rubber to soften/blur. I need to revisit the sketching advice resources, lol...

My sketch of Jupiter looks better in my sketchbook than posted I must say - never been much of a scanner so another skill to learn!   

• 3 weeks later...

Archived