NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar observing Newbie

I have purchased a solar filter for my SW 120mm Startravel. It has the Baader Asrofilm and a nice tight fit in the end of the dew shield.

Apart from the obvious checks for damage before I use it, Is there anything else I need to buy to observe the sun occasionally?. Do I need other filters in the optic train or is the filter fine on its own. I read a green filter might enhance the view. Grateful for any other advice. Thanks I will not observe until I have the replies and I know I am safe.

post-38329-0-38333400-1425741141_thumb.j

Just as you are will be OK.  The green filter can help to make the surface granulation of the Sun easier to see.  Apart from giving you a green image it plays no part in the safety aspect of the filtering of the solar image - this is done by the Baader film.  I keep my solar filter in a celebrations sweet container (the plastic ones).  A ring of foam plastic holds the filter in the middle of the container and prevents it moving about.  Protected like that the filter is unlikely to get damaged.  By the way don't touch the film with your fingers - sweat can damage it.

Welcome to the righteous side Garry :grin: Its comforting to see you consider your eyesight a priority and sought advice before diving in, the replies above should have reassured you on this score.

I would be very interested to know how high a magnification you can achieve on sunspots before the views degrade and I look forward to your first review.

Welcome to the righteous side Garry :grin: Its comforting to see you consider your eyesight a priority and sought advice before diving in, the replies above should have reassured you on this score.

I would be very interested to know how high a magnification you can achieve on sunspots before the views degrade and I look forward to your first review.

Thanks for the advice I will put a bring up to let you know how i get on . Waiting for delivery of the mount from FLO for the scope before i can Start.

Archived