SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Nexstar GPS - Hand Controller

I need to replace my hand controller - Nexstar 11" GPS (2005),  still works but the buttons are worn, keep sticking and the LCD display is patchy.  I've source a replacement from Widescreen (C93998) but have run into a few issues.  I keep getting "No Response 16 & 17" error messages, and there is no GPS alignment option now.  New hand controller software version is 4.8, my motor control version is 1.01.0. Any ideas or advise welcome,

Ron

Please see the celestron knowledge base at

http://www.celestron.com/support/knowledgebase

and type in the error and search...it comes up and is the official explanation

What would I do and what have I done when this message appeared ? I felt the upgraded firmware was shonky so I reset the scope to factory setting to see if it would behave itself . When it did I then upgraded the firmware again using the CFM program and following the instructions. All turned out well...

CFM = Celestron Firmware Manager.

It is a piece of software that you run on your PC while the PC is connected to the mount and the internet at the same time, and it checks the handset and motor controller firmware versions, then if necessary it downloads the correct version from Celestron automatically and loads the firmware to the handset and motor controller.

You will need a RS232 serial communication lead to connect your PC to the hand controller to be able to use the CFM software, I don't think this is supplied as standard with the mount so you may have to source one suitable for your PC/laptop.

The guys at the Widescreen Centre should be able to help you with that, or point you in the right direction to find one local to you.

Thanks, I've got a RS232 cable. Nick at Widescreen is now in contact with Celestron regarding CFM software for me, so hope this will sort it out.  Hand controller is running version 4.8 and motor control is 1.01.0 so I this these are incompatible and as you said the motor control software requires updating  :smiley:

• 2 months later...

Hi just an update, it's been two months since I had the problem and now it's all sorted out. Very frustrating, but as suspected I needed a new motor control board, HC version 4.8 was not compatible with MC version 1.1. So David Hinds fitted new board, all worked fine except scope would track west for east and east for west. Turns out very early GPS's had a fault on the MC board and were fitted with a short reversing lead, and yes I had one. Removed shorting lead and all works perfect

Archived