NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 PRO without handset

Pompey Monkey

I am looking to set up a small astrophotography scope from scratch, using a modded DSLR and/or a small fast refractor (up to 80mm).

I'm on budget and my research to date suggests that an EQ3 PRO will do the job (no matter how much I lust after an HEQ5 PRO!).

I have two questions:

Where can I buy (in the UK) a Skywatcher EQ3 PRO without a handset?

If I get one, am I correct in thinking that I can control and guide it (with the aid of a camera) with EQMOD via a netbook?

Also, I don't have enough posts to look in the classifieds and, as I'm more of a reader than a writer, it will be a while yet before I can. ;)

I don't think it is possible to buy the mount without the handset. Something to also consider is the total payload. If you plan to attach just a camera to the mount it should be possible. If you then add a telescope, guidescope, guide camera and a dslr then the total payload might exceed the recommended maximum for imaging (about 1/2 - 2/3 visual payload). Something like a Skywatcher Star Adventure http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-star-adventurer/skywatcher-star-adventurer-astronomy-bundle.html , Vixen Polarie or Ioptron Startracker might be a better option for dslr imaging.

I have an EQ3-2 that I fitted with RA and DEC motors but drive from EQMOD using an AstroEQ stepper motor box and mains power supply obtained from Tom Carpenter (TCWORLD on SGL). However I also now have an EQ5 Pro and am impressed with just how much more solid and stable this is in comparison with the EQ3-2.

Archived