Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

USB CCD/camera with mobile/tablet?

If you get one of the new Windows tablets such as the HP stream 7 or Linx 7, 8 or 10 you'll get a full Windows 8.1 PC in the form of a tablet for between £75 and £150.  You could then run software such as APT to control the camera and a guide camera.

If you go down the Android route,  Then as long as your tablet supports USB host mode, you can use DSLR Controller app to control the a Canon DSLR

My advice (as i have set this up). Get a el cheapo laptop running windows 7 as a bare minimum. Mount it onto your platform and leave it there.

Use a tablet to remote into the said machine and voila you are set. Works beautifully for me. Plus i don't have to worry about processing power or ports and all that junk as the laptop already has everything.

I put shrink wrap around open ports and heat shrinked it to cover them up to prevent dew.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Linx 10 and have plugged in a borrowed Celestron Neximage. Using SharpCap it works fine, the only issue I have is using the touchscreen to move the Exposure slider, it's very fiddly.

Get a laptop with at least 3 or 4 usb ports and get one of the cheap extended power batteries from the usual auction site. You'd be good for 3~ hours of imaging and all the AP software and drivers will function properly. There are enough uncontrollable variables in AP, you don't want to introduce more of your own.

A.G

Archived