SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

cooling a telescope?!?!

Hi everyone I'm new to the whole hobby :) I have purchased a celestron 8se nexstar scope and I have come across a few threads mentioning a telescope should cool down before use. Can anyone give me some advice please thank you :)

Hi there. I think and am sure others more informed will correct but it refers to allowing a scope to cool down to equivalent of outside air temperature. This has the effect of reducing distortion of the light path in the tube and mirrors due to heat shimmer when the tube inside is warmer than the air outside. This usually happens when taking a scope outside and viewing straight away. I've found allowing the scope to cool for an hour before viewing affords the best visuals. Oh, do yourself a favour if you haven't already and get a dew shield for the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually people say an hour, some will go for 30 minutes.

The easiest option is put the scope (OTA) out as one of the first items,

Then get the other bits, set up the monut and scope and plug everything in.

Then do the alignment.

By this time 15 or 20 minutes will have passed.

Then go observing.

The scope temperature may not be ideal but it is a choice view as best the conditions allow or sit waiting for the scope to cool a bit more, and ideally until equlibrium.

Ideally you would let it cool more, but lets be honest we are standing out there to observe the sky.

Equally ideally you would start your car up and let it warm up before actually driving it - bet you don't. :grin: :grin:

I do as described, the scope goes out and it cools as much as it can before I am ready to observe, I don't rush anything, then I observe. Perfect, well no, but neither are my eyes and little else. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This is why many, who have the facility, store their scope in a totally secure outside building. If you do this, do not publicise the equipment you have on any open forum. If you do, as of recent times, Insurance companies have taken it upon themselves not to pay out, if your precious gear is stolen :)

Thanks guys for your replies :) I have only used it once and used a cheap ep celestron which came with the scope. Bought a few celestron xcel ones much better quality I have heard. I would like to build an observatory eventually when I save up all my pennies :)

Always try to store SCTs/Maks somewhere cool as they can take a long time to cooldown.

A lot of people who become disenchanted with the views their scopes gives, do so because the scope hasn't cooled properly. It does make a huge difference to image quality.

Thanks Mr Spock I have not let it cool down when using it straight from the house so I will be intrigued to see the difference it can make. My heating is always on max and I have taken the scope straight out! :/ whoops! I am new to the whole telescope scene and I think I have a lot to learn :)  

If you have an SCT (8" or larger) and are of the impatient type, you can always use this ;)

www.optcorp.com/lymax-cosmicone-sct-cooler-for-8-meade-or-celestron-sct-telescopes.html

Archived