Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 11" GPS - What eyepieces are suitable

I have a Celestron Nexstar 11" GPS, bought secondhand, it came with a Celestron 32mm eyepiece and 1 1/4" diagonal.  I have upgrade to a 2" Badder diagonal and 2" Crayford fine focuser.  Next step is buy some good quality eyepieces.  My main aim is observing the Moon and planets so any advise would be grateful,

Ron

Fortunately at F10 and with no appreciable CA most eyepieces will work well. In the end it's down to personal preference, type of object to be viewed and budget as to which is best for you. I have to say that the "give away" Skywatcher 2" fit 28mm LER eyepiece works well on our 16" SCT and visitors seem to get on well with it.  :smiley:

I'm short sighted and wear glasses for driving, I tend not to wear glasses when observing but then I need them to focus correctly for imaging.  Budget wise I'm happy to pay £100 for each eyepiece.  Then there's another dilemma, 2" or 1 1/4.  Do I need to slash out on 2" or is there a cut off point when it makes no difference.

Ron

Nothing to do with eyepieces - How do you add the list of your equipment so it's viewed in your posts?

Ron

you can get that done in your profile under Signature.

As for your eye pieces.

As you want to observe only planetary,then you dont really need 2" eye pieces as there are plenty of good and very good 1.25" ones around.If you are happy to wait for the right bargain,then second hand market is strongly suggested in likes of UK Astro buy and sell,Classifieds here,Astroboot and Fleebay there you can pick top class Ep`s for far less then original cost.

If we start from the bottom of the pot,then its BST Starguiders @49 quid. I dont know these and never tried and never will,but people who have them say that these are OK.

Then we have Maxvision series which i have tried myself and i can recomend them.New these are 60 quid.

Vixen Eps sold by FLO are very good with generous eye relief and great performance.Tried one myself and liked them,but as i have a box full of Orthoscopics i decided not to swap :)

Explore Scientific eye pieces are good and come in 68 or 82 degree FOV and can be bought from exSc direct from they german outfit.14 euros shipping and no customs fees.Average price is about 90-120 quid( for 82 degree) Alternatives are meade 5000 series UWA for more or less same price.Again i have tried them all and these are solid performers.

Older Televue Radians are great planetary Ep`s and can be had for about 100 quid.

Then there are a top class EP`s what will last a life time and will not take any hit on price:

Pentax XW are very very good and highly recommended @ 160-185 second hand.

Televue range of Delos is other alternative and same price.

And yes there are many many more.Suggestion would be:find an eye piece what you think you would like to have and read up reviews or simply ask here in forum.People will chip in and advise you.

So be my guest and pick one :D

Thanks for the advice.  We have a  Stargazing Live event at Maidstone on 7th March MKAS, and quite a few members are taking their scopes along, me too, so I am planning on trying a few different eyepieces, providing the sky is clear.

Archived