Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dark Sites Nr Dorchester (Dorset)??

Paul73

We are visiting my wife's folks in Dorchester this weekend. As the forecast is good, I chucked my trusty dob in the boot. I've never observed from this part of the world so could use any good tips on dark sites within about 20mins drive of Dorchester.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I live in Somerset and have to travel about 50mins to my nearest dark sky site which is pretty awesome to be honest and it's 1hr 42mins for you I imagine - Wimbleball lake.

If you get a really great night, that place is great.

Although it isn't the best place according to this PDF:-

http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/visiting/things-to-do/?a=164534

I like the look of Webbers post - street view shows nice easy parking and no trees in the way - which I found an issue at Wimbleball lake! (not THAT bad but annoying to say the least).  Oh and whoever the dude was who turns up in Merc at 10pm at night and obviously had no intention of going sailing lol!  (Totally ruined my night vision!! grrrr!).

List of Dark Sky sites here:-

http://www.darkskydiscovery.org.uk/dark-sky-discovery-sites/map.html

Hope this helps :-)

Hi Paul,

I would head to the coast, avoiding Weymouth so perhaps Lulworth way? Try and find a headland perhaps.

I've had great views from further along the coast, St Aldhelm's chapel and Durlston head.

Hope you get some clear sky!

Tell you what Paul, I haven't been there but looking at it if you could get yourself somewhere near the end of Portland Bill it would be pretty good and much closer.

5a015bd7a1f7f4c687bd0c13417ef0fe.jpg

Well worth getting down to the coast in late summer, the Milky Way and Sagittarius region are amazing over a sea horizon

Hi Paul,

I'm based in Cerne Abbas, which is only 15 minutes north of Dorchester. I set up in the car park overlooking the Cerne Abbas Giant. There's an occasional car going past on the road, and some trees block off the southern horizon, but all other directions are clear. Very little sky-glow from Dorchester. Most is blocked by the hills.

It's supposed to be clear tonight, and I'm planning to be out observing from about 8.30-9.00 – the GRS should be visible from about 10.

Kev.

Archived