Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Green

Andyp71

I'm sure I saw a green star when I was outback oz although I have no clue as to what it was. surely uranus isn't bright, even in dark skies? Oh, and green isn't a primary colour, at least not according to my 1st class teacher ;)

You're still in 1st class?. Crikey!!!!!!!!!!!..........how many times have you been held back a yr in school.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last Analysis Department: If you were in space above the atmosphere, stars would have no colour whatsoever. They appear white. The only reason we percieve them to be of this colour or that, is through atmospheric diffraction. Read: It's all an optical-illusion.

Of course, the colours we percieve following diffraction do have meaning regards the actual characteristics of the star we are looking at. If we 'see' a red star, it indicates it is cooler (temperature-wise - not listening to certain music and smoking funny cigarettes). And spectrographic analysis will show it to be producing higher atomic-mass elements through it's fusion. In this respect one could venture that our atmosphere acts as a spectroscope.

But I still know that red, yellow, and blue are primary colours! :p:eek::p

Here - Knock Yourself Out:

post-38438-0-89557700-1424290575.jpg

Dave :Envy:

PS - It makes dandy wallpaper!

if you look too much at Dave's last post you get spaced out...

Green, turquoise, cyan... if a star appears to have that hue (is that the right term?) then there based on discussions above and bits i've picked up off the net then there must be something else going on.  Could it be as described earlier that there's a red companion thereby skewing our internal colour processing?  Red is being saturated by one star, but the red component from the other is much less therefore the brain switches off the red component and it becomes blue-green (algae). 

What, if anything, could be enveloping a star to create a green filter perhaps?  I know there's green emissions from specific isotopes, but what is there in absorption?

I do remember as a youngster sitting with my nose against the window when i was supposed to be asleep, looking at one of the brighter stars (could have been sirius or canopus as far as i know) when it was far "south", or the other side, of the south celestial pole.  Going through all of that atmosphere didn't just make it twinkle, it made it sparkle in all colours.  I used to love watching for the different colour flashes.  Surely green would have been amongst those.

How annoying, I'd probably better do some work.

Archived