Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Maksutov and Accessories

Hi there,

I came across a free Telescope when my Grandfather gave it to me, knowing that I used to love Astronomy as a kid.

The Maksutov is an old Intes Micro 150/1500 Maksutov Cassegrain that I had to take off a faulty fork mount and put on an EQ.

The focuser that came with it was in bad shape, so I replaced it with a GSO Crayford hoping it would work and it worked perfectly.

The telescope works fine now, but when I added a GSO 2" diagonal I found that I could not achieve focus of any kind. When I had standard 1.25" eye pieces running in the focuser I could focus using a 5mm ep and the focuser would have leftover inward / outward travel, but the added diagonal is no go. The diagonal is flush against the focuser , so I dont know what else I can do except try 2" eyepieces or a standard 1.25" diagonal with my eyepieces (have neither)

Any thoughts?

Cheers!!

My guess s you are running out of inward travel. The optical path length added by the 2" diagonal is too long, it would seem. Maybe a lower-profile focuser is needed

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've had a look around for a low profile sct crayford but haven't been too successful. Any suggestions? Thanks heaps

Archived