NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi guys.

My 1st post here and a reasonable n00b.

Eventually I want a Celestron C8 on a vx mount as I need it to b mainly portable.

I have enough money for either the tube or a mount, not both right now.

My thinking is buy the tube now as at 5.67k its pushing my goto eq2-3 to its limit (gonna drop the leg extensions and add extra weight ?!?) so I can still do the hobby while saving for the mount.

Or should I just wait and continue using my skywatcher 127 until I have the full amount saved and try keep my aperture fever at bay....

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Damn....

I knew you guys would say that.... ;-)

We are only here to " Make your day" Mount then Scope a 200pds is loads cheaper the a SCT, just add up the extra's the PDS a Coma Corrector, the SCT a Focuser, Focal Reducer, long term PDS " Finder Guider", SCT " OAG" it soon mounts up..:)

Hi Mick. I have the Celestron Edge 800 and the 200 pds from Skywatcher. Both are quite manageable for taking to dark skies, but the Celestron is easier by far. Both are good scopes. The Newt is a good alrounder and has a good Crayford on it. The Celestron is much better for planets and lunar work, but not so good for DSO imaging (though you can add a reducer or the hyper star/Fastar systems). If you are going into imaging in the future then a good mount is a must. Needless to say this means a bit of weight to be sturdy and steady. I don't know the VX but the Skywatcher HEq5 pro is ok and reasonably portable. I've just got the AZEq6 GT. It's great, but even heavier. Try to get to a local astro society and get some hands on with the different mounts and scopes. I must admit that having to set everything up and take it down again can be a pain. I'm a strong guy, but carrying a mount with counterweights is awkward, and there's no chance with the scope in place. A setup you will use often is key. You are spot on in considering portability. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks Geordie.

I usually work nights so I cant get to the clubs.

I do read lots of reviews tho and google/youtube stuff.

Id mostly b just pulling in somewhere after work 1am-4am and setting up at the boot of my car.

Be 90% visual with some AP later on and on the odd occasion from home.

As im a relative nOOb im still enjoying planetary too.

Thanks for all ur help guys..

I recently bought a QHY5L-II for an OAG. There was a wait for a bit from UK, so I tried the QHY at prime focus and stacked the 900 best images. I know I had the wrong settings as only getting 7FPS, but was amazed at the Narrow FOV the QHY had. Combined with the small pixels, it opens up possible images of Jupiter at prime focus. You might consider adding this as an option to the 127 Mak. Video is fast to get a lot of frames, and you can take home to process any time. Mines mono but I think good results with the color version would result too. Same size chip.

As you can see, this can end up being an expensive hobby. However, if I only had one scope I'd have the 200 pds and use it for visual, DSOs with my dslr and lunar with anASI120mm. Mount wise I really like the new AZEQ6GT so might be worth saving for that or look at the newAZEQ5GT.

I wouldn't put that scope on your current mount. If you are also fairly decided about that scope and mount I would buy them together if at all possible.

From a conveniently locatable supplier from this forum;

C8 OTA £775, VX mount £695 - total £1470

or both together as a package - total £1075

Archived