SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Dark - Atik 314

thenews24

Got my new Atik 314 in the mail. In preparation to image this weekend, I decided to go ahead and build a library of dark frames. Took about a dozen 300 sec, at -10c.

I was surprised to see a consistent gradient in each dark captured. At first I thought leakage, but tried an array of setups. All returning the same result. As of now I have the nose piece with the cap on. 

I found a related thread on this but for bias frames. Anyone experience this gradient in their dark frames? Thanks

dark300_005.fit

i get a similar thing when i focus sometimes but nothing shows when i image, you can download fits liberator for free and stretch the fit files, easy to do, simply click on the fit file, it will open in fits liberator,  set the black level to 0, the white level to 65535, the stretch function to arcsinh(x) then click auto scaling. it will improve the picture.

too be honest these cameras don`t really need dark frames, especially when cooled, flats might be a better choice to take and use with the light frames.

Got my new Atik 314 in the mail. In preparation to image this weekend, I decided to go ahead and build a library of dark frames. Took about a dozen 300 sec, at -10c.

I was surprised to see a consistent gradient in each dark captured. At first I thought leakage, but tried an array of setups. All returning the same result. As of now I have the nose piece with the cap on. 

I found a related thread on this but for bias frames. Anyone experience this gradient in their dark frames? Thanks

attachicon.gifdark300_005.fit

Hmmmm, this is not good. Before anything else contact the vendor and send them the Dark frame and ask for an opinion. How are you powering the Atik? It maybe worth using a different power supply first and also do the Darks off scope with a good cap on the camera in a dark room and see what you get also change the USB cable to something that you know is of good quality so you eliminate all variables. Good luck.

A.G

A.G

Doesn't sound right to me either.  I never use darks these days but when I did some testing on a 314L+ a couple of years ago I didn't see anything like that.  Just a few hot pixels and a very low background noise level.  I have had 2 of this model camera and have used exposures up to an hour without darks.  Same applies to the 460EX and I gather to all the Atik cameras that use the Sony imaging chips (I gather the ones with Kodak chips do need darks but I have no experience of those).

P.S. I use set point cooling to -15C.

Hmmmm, this is not good. Before anything else contact the vendor and send them the Dark frame and ask for an opinion. How are you powering the Atik? It maybe worth using a different power supply first and also do the Darks off scope with a good cap on the camera in a dark room and see what you get also change the USB cable to something that you know is of good quality so you eliminate all variables. Good luck.

A.G

A.G

I'm using the Atik Universal AC power supply.I'll do more testing tonight, might give Atik a shout if problem persist.

i get a similar thing when i focus sometimes but nothing shows when i image, you can download fits liberator for free and stretch the fit files, easy to do, simply click on the fit file, it will open in fits liberator,  set the black level to 0, the white level to 65535, the stretch function to arcsinh(x) then click auto scaling. it will improve the picture.

too be honest these cameras don`t really need dark frames, especially when cooled, flats might be a better choice to take and use with the light frames.

Yeah, unfortunately iIdo have fits liberator, and with the image stretched as you suggested there is still a bright glow, looks like for two sources on the bottom of the frame. 

As I mentioned above, I'm using the ATIK universal ac power supply, but was surprised to see the ac adapter is 12V=2.5A out. 2.5a seems kind of high, but it was supposedly made for atik products....?

Yeah, unfortunately iIdo have fits liberator, and with the image stretched as you suggested there is still a bright glow, looks like for two sources on the bottom of the frame. 

As I mentioned above, I'm using the ATIK universal ac power supply, but was surprised to see the ac adapter is 12V=2.5A out. 2.5a seems kind of high, but it was supposedly made for atik products....?

That is about right the camera takes what it needs depending on the TEC setting. There was another thread somewhere here and the problem was an SX camera or something like that. If my memory serves me right it was a similar issue. The good point is that Atik's customer service has excellent reputation so if there is anything wrong it will be put right quickly.

Regards,

A.G

That is about right the camera takes what it needs depending on the TEC setting. There was another thread somewhere here and the problem was an SX camera or something like that. If my memory serves me right it was a similar issue. The good point is that Atik's customer service has excellent reputation so if there is anything wrong it will be put right quickly.

Regards,

A.G

Good to know. Thanks

It doesn't matter about the amperage as long as it is enough, by that I mean if your camera needs 2.5amps max then a 2.5amp supply will suffice, but you could use a 10 amp supply, because the camera only draws the amps it needs, so won't damage anything.

My scope mount uses about 2 amps max, but it rins from a 15amp bench regulated power supply.

AB

Archived