Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EPs for white light solar.

russ.will

You could always get the Leica and pair it with the Baader 2.25x zoom so that you overcome the issue of short fl use :evil: But since it is outside the budget, let it go.

I will throw a curveball now. How about TV Radians?

I use my Leica with a x2.5 PowerMate, works beautifully and gives 3.5mm to just over 7mm with maintained eye relief. The x2 PowerMate gives 4.5 to 8.9mm so really with these three, and perhaps a 24mm Panoptic you have a perfect travel set. However I digress, back to solar eyepieces.....

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use my Leica with a x2.5 PowerMate, works beautifully and gives 3.5mm to just over 7mm with maintained eye relief. The x2 PowerMate gives 4.5 to 8.9mm so really with these three, and perhaps a 24mm Panoptic you have a perfect travel set. However I digress, back to solar eyepieces.....

Yet another sale of astronomy gear which I regret. I was not happy with the edge of field brightness of the Leica zoom so I let it go.

In retrospect, I have regretted most of the sales I have made of astronomy gear and I have purchased the same stuff again on occasion (TV 3-6 zoom, TV Pan 24, TV 8mm Ethos and the list goes on).

Despite that small shortcoming of the Leica Zoom, it is the best zoom out there by a mile or two...

I'M NOT BUYING A LEICA!!!!

That ship has sailed.... :sad:

Russell

Sorry Russ!!! I did try to come back on track!

I have a 10mm Radian now which I could try, will be interesting to see how it performs

I find orthos quite manageable on a manual alt Az mount. As said, I normally stay at 9 or 12.5mmso the mag is not so high. Yes you are moving the mount frequently but I find it ok. Personal preference though I guess

I happened across a Meade 6.7mm UWA on UKABS earlier, so I decided that at £60 inc postage, it was worth a punt.

With the 20mm MV SWA (which I will now keep for a while) in the 2x Tele Extender, that should be a good place to start.

We shall see. :)

Russell

Archived