SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Still struggling with my new HEQ5 Pro

After Christmas I bought a HEQ5 Pro Goto mount. So far the experience has been one big frustration. What I am struggling with at the moment is the mesh on the RA axis. At least I think so from what I have been reading. When the mount is tracking, the worm drive on the RA axis "bites" and then continues to move in a jump and an audible "click" sound. Needless to say that jumping stars ruin all imaging...

I took the mount back to the shop I bought it from and while they claimed they fixed it, the problem is still there. At least they showed me where the adjustment screws are (one is inconveniently hidden underneath the panel with the connection ports). My question is, in case of a gripping gear, which screw do I have to loosen to solve the issue, the one underneath the panel or the one on the opposite site? Is there anything else I have to look out for?

Thanks for any advice!

HJ

I had already thought of the potential balancing issue. The RA axis is pretty hard to move and balancing is difficult. Even with the clutch disengaged the mount stays put unless the balance is really out. The other thing is that the phenomenon seems to be temperature dependent. I can't reproduce it indoors but when I take to mount outside it starts. I did read Astro-Baby's page again and noticed the comment at the end about the "floater" which can cause gripping when too tight. I haven't really changed it yet but it is so tight that it doesn't move. Could this be it?

To be honest, if you just bought this from a shop (presume it was new), I would demand a replacement, it shouldn't be down to you to have to fix it.  You've given them a chance to fix it and they failed.

Carole

Thanks Carole, your reply prompted me to think "Why should I struggle?" And yes, it wasn't the worm gear at all and I've got a new head! Of course today it is cloudy.

Archived