Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to use AstroTortilla?

Astrosurf

I've installed AT using this tutorial:

http://lightvortexastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/tutorial-imaging-setting-up-and-using.html#STEP1

Now, I need to connect my scope to my laptop but don't know what lead. I've got ASCOM Platform 6 installed but I've never used it. Can someone help with:

• The correct lead to connect to my mount
  • How to use ASCOM
  • Do I nee EQMOD?? How is that used?
  • Anything else I might need to know!

I have a new W8.1 laptop.

EDIT: this??  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/hitecastro/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

Alexxx

That looks like the correct lead assuming you have a HEQ5. EQ mod is used instead of the handset. Basically your laptop becomes your handset. Ascom is purely the drivers that link everything together. You do not need to do anything with it iirc just have it loaded on your laptop.

Watch Chris Shillettos eqmod videos on you tube. They are great & should get you up & running fairly quickly. I would say its easier than the handset & a lot more useful once you have found your way around. I wouldn't be with out it!

Yes Alex - the EQDIR lead links your PC to your mount (provided that it's a Skywatcher eq mount) instead of the handset. The EQDIR will show up on your pc as a COM port and you have to enter this into the EQMOD settings. In your guiding / planetarium software the mount should show up as something like EQASCOM EQ5/EQ6.

Archived