NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Raspberry pi guider

gajjer

Hi folks

I don't know if this is going to go anywhere, but I've been looking at the Pi for guiding.

If you are interested, have a look at this http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=45246&p=575895&hilit=astrophotography#p575895

In particular, have a look at what Gordon77 has to say

I have a Pi B+ and the standard Pi camera. I built up an assembly which mounted the Pi and the camera onto a small fibreglass board. The camera is mounted so that

it is line with what I will call a nose. The nose is 1.25" OD so that it will fit onto one of my scopes ( either for photography or for guiding )

I then made a matching fixture to accept the nose and connect to a standard Canon lens. I used an old Canon extension tube to provide a bayonet mount.

This means I can use any of my standard Canon lenses, depending on what I'm doing.

The Pi camera is 5M pixels so potentially quite promising.

So far I have got it running connected to the telly. I am using putty and tightvnc to try to control remotely. As yet I have not got it operating correctly with the laptop.

I can control many things from the laptop, but the actual screen with the guiding image can not be displayed just yet. I have my team of brains working on this!

I bought my first Pi quite a while ago and found it quite clunky. The latest Pi with the latest software is a lot less painful. However, as a hardware engineer, I feel

like I am dealing with black magic.

I have a guiding set up already and it is reliable albeit controlled by an idiot. So I am not sure just how far I will go with the Pi. It still has quirks and we have precious

few good nights to spend fiddling with kit.

I'll try and get some photos later.

cheers

gaj

That's a nice solution!

I've been looking at the Odriod.. then using that as a guider where the guider and mount control are kept onboard.. capture done onboard and then allows offloading and screen share via ethernet. I still need to automate my focusing (I'm using a borg focuser so I need to make a support as the camera weight makes it a little harder to turn than a stepper motor ideally would like)..

Nick

My son bought me a Pi B+ for Christmas and I'm looking for a project to get me going.

Unfortunately I don't really need a guider but I try and follow any projects that pop up so I can get some ideas.

It's proving to be a steep curve!

I hope you make progress with your project. We need more pi's in amateur astronomy!

I'd like to utilise mine for Wifi control of my NEQ6 via SkySafari on Android devices.

Hi again

NickK - I had not seen the Odroid - it looks like a very capable beast. I'm hoping there is plenty of support for the Pi. There does seem to be a lot of activity with it but I am very much in the dark at present.

fireshipjohn. Thanks for that. My solution was going to be either blutak or just remove it!

Paul M - I'm feeling very much in strange territory. I did buy the guide but it seems a bit out of date now. I have since bought 'The beginners guide' and the annual and they are helping. This could take me well into

retirement! And I agree - we need more Pi's in astronomy.

I've just bought a quad core version and a heap of other toys today so that's me sorted for a while!

cheers

gaj

The new RPi does look interesting.  More powerful CPU and more USB ports is certainly welcome.  I was tempted to buy one last week just to test out cameras with oacapture as it takes a while to build on the original B model, but I bought something else instead :)

James

Archived