Lightweight wide field eyepiece recommendations

Helen

Michael,

The eyepiece only got a quick 5 minute use yesterday. More testing is in order but a blackout is not something I am unfamiliar with so I believe it will rear up its ugly head again when I spend more time with the SVL.

Getting back on track, a Televue 24mm would be the best for Helen in terms of weight and size. Next best would be the ES 24mm 68 degrees and then you got the Meade equivalent that is - well, there's no getting around this - fat. Boy, does that eyepiece need to cut down on the Big Macs!

I have seen however people stripping the outer shell of the eyepiece, creating a lean mean 24mm 68 degrees AFOV eyepiece 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicos,

The 24mm Meade does rather have that "I ate all the pies" look about it. I would think though the Borg that Helen was talking about at F5 will not do the Meade any favours, the 24mm Panoptic would be a very nice choice. Funny I have one and didn't even think of it.

Alan

Nicos,

The 24mm Meade does rather have that "I ate all the pies look" about it. I would think though the Borg that Helen was talking about at F5 will not do the Meade any favours, the 24mm Panoptic would be a very nice choice. Funny I have one and didn't even think of it.

Alan

I gathered it was going to be used at F/6 or a bit above.

Michael,

As you probably read I found flocks of seagulls at the edges in my F5.26 and that was the Meade version which one assumes had all the QA in place at the time of manufacture. However as I said on axis it was a match for the TV, maybe too short ER for you but I am finding the 16mm to be better.

Alan 

Fascinating discussion guys - thanks :smile:  What I've decided to do is get out the kit I'm planning on taking and trying it out with the eyepieces I have (I've realised I've never actually put an eyepiece in the Borg  :rolleyes:  only a camera).  I can then weigh things as well.  I'm expecting the extra weight of the 2inch diagonal will cause balance problems as well as being heavy to carry.  

Ideally I'd like one of the suppliers to be doing a silly Astrofest price on a Pan!!  

Helen

Fascinating discussion guys - thanks :smile:  What I've decided to do is get out the kit I'm planning on taking and trying it out with the eyepieces I have (I've realised I've never actually put an eyepiece in the Borg  :rolleyes:  only a camera).  I can then weigh things as well.  I'm expecting the extra weight of the 2inch diagonal will cause balance problems as well as being heavy to carry.  

Ideally I'd like one of the suppliers to be doing a silly Astrofest price on a Pan!!  

Helen

Helen, did you spot this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/5045-es-24mm-68%C2%B0-eyepiece/

Gone and done it.... :happy3:  bit of research showed no stock of the maxvision at the really low price but a good price for 24 Pan at Widescreen (only v slightly above the cost of getting one in the states).  So ordered the Pan (thinking better quality, better resale price, and smaller).  If one does come up secondhand between now and Thursday I can always return...

Helen

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update to this thread...  I only had one evening's observing with my scope as it turned out, but the Pan was lovely in the Borg and I really enjoyed using it.  I think it is going to get a lot of use and its manageable size means it won't affect balance on my Alt Az mounts either.  So thanks for the help :smile:

Helen

PS If anyone is interested in how the trip went overall then I've now finished my blog (part of the requirement for the Field Trip was to first do a website showcasing the Field Trip Itinerary and then write up a blog)  Lots of pictures of huge scopes in Field Trip part of the blog :wink: http://www.tyseren.net/arizona-trip-overview/

Archived