Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Bins

For a while now I've been thinking of getting myself some binoculars, whilst looking at different ones there was plenty of ooo's and ahhh's but couldn't decide which ones to get, I came close on hitting the buy now button quite a few times. I didn't want something too big, just something bigger and newer then the bins I'm already using (Greenkat Pegasus 12x50's). I decided a 70 or 80mm aperature would be ideal, but slowly realised 80's would be unrealistic in my budget.

It was a coin toss between the Opticron Oregon 15x70's or the Celestron Skymaster 15x70's. After reading a few different threads on here and reviews on them I decided to go the cheaper option and get a set of skymasters, which after a quick search on Google I managed to find them at a very reasonable price, approximately £30 less then the Opticrons. 

Now its a waiting game, they are not due to arrive until Thursday/Friday and already want to get out and use them!

• 5 months later...

It was a coin toss between the Opticron Oregon 15x70's or the Celestron Skymaster 15x70's. After reading a few different threads on here and reviews on them I decided to go the cheaper option and get a set of skymasters, which after a quick search on Google I managed to find them at a very reasonable price, approximately £30 less then the Opticrons. 

I'm thinking of the same 2 bins my coin is still in the air.

Do you have a tripod to mount them on?. You really do need one for bins of this size.

I have to say I found it next to impossible to get on with my 15x70s tripod-mounted, and only marginally better using a monopod. I'd like the steadiness you get from mounting them, but in practice I very quickly reverted to just lying back in a garden chair and hand-holding them. An individual preference, no doubt, but it's working for me.

Archived