NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The newer Canon DSLR ha response

lensman57

Hi,

This is a bit of a strange observation but has anyone done any tests to determine if the new generation of Canon DSLRs have a better Ha response than the old? The reason is that I keep seeing images captured with these cameras in an un modified state that show considerable Ha capture, a lot more than what I would expect having owned both unmodded and modded 1000d and 1100d. There is an image of M42 done by one of the members here ( in Florida I think ) and another one here which show surprising amount of Ha captured by the unmodded camera. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/234826-modified-camera-settings/

It is interesting to know what the good people here think.

Regards,

A.G

i too have noticed the images you speak of A.G

i was rather shocked and had to double check they were indeed unmodded lol,

be interested to know this question also

edit, this is the other image i remember seeing and was shocked it was unmodded

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/234663-ic-434-and-ngc-2024-with-stock-dslr-pixinsight-trial/#entry2539690

The answer to your quest lies here :)http://clarkvision.com/reviews/index.html According to his data the 7DMkII is now the king of Ha response even better than the 60Da. I believe him becuase I got this one with it first night out. I'm a newbie at this as well.

Orion55-2.jpg

No calibration frames in the image either. The MkII is very quiet. He says you don't need darks using a DSLR and explains why. They helped with the 7D but PI kept kicking them out so I processed it without them. 7D2 isn't supported yet in dcraw so I suspect this is the problem. But the results were pretty decent so maybe you don't need darks. I'd rather it not need flats I don't like to do flats. I did use the lens correction in lightroom on the raws. That evens out the lighting and flattens the image. I'm about to find out about the Ha just need to save up a little more cash and get a Ha clip in filter. My mount is capable of very long exposures required for Ha with a DSLR but hopefully with the enhanced red of the 7D2 it won't have to be that long. I like the idea you can shoot Ha with the moon up with no impact. Get the color data when its nice and dark and do the Ha data when its not. The Ha filters are expensive and the only way I found to use one if you are only using camera lenses is the Astronomik clip in.  Lots of options if you are using a scope. It sure can add some detail to your images. If the Ha works I'll get the others.

Griz

Archived