NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hard Impact, Silent but deadly????

Tim

I know I should be embarrassed, but I dont even know what this crater is called, is it Copernicus?

Anyways, the question that just popped into mind was, do these impacts even make a sound in space, and if so, could it be heard in the conditions, and how far would the sound travel on the moon, if at all? I bet somebody knows.

Taken with Canon 400D, poor visibility, clouds and wind, you know, all the usual conditions we get. 17th March 2008, through 25mm EP.

4651_large.jpeg

Cheers

TJ

It may be silent as far as far as hearing anything goes, bit if a pebble of the size that gouged out Copernicus were to hit the moon these days,

I would think the resultant tremor would wreck any seismic instrument left on the moon by the Apollo astronauts.

Ron.

I reckon you would hear it if you were actually standing on the moon. Just because there's no atmosphere to propagate the energy released by the impact it doesn't mean that vibrations wouldn't be felt and heard through the ground. It is Copernicus by the way as you guessed (and Barkis said.)

• 10 months later...

Nice shot TJ. I reckon you would feel it, but the ground shock vibrations would be conducted through your skeleton (bone conduction) to the ears and that would cause you to "hear" the impact (Your ears would indicate you heard sound).

If you where standing on the moon I'm sure that as it hit the shock waves that would travel through the moon would travel through your skeleton ( as suggested) and into the ear causing the bones in your ear and the air in the ear drums to vibrate giving an "illusion" of sound ( after all - all we really "hear" on earth is our human "interpretation" of "sound" - we miss so much of the signal compared to other animals.

If you could "hear" it it would probably be the last sound you heard.

Nice Pic btw

Archived