SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looks like a clear one Friday 16th Jan

mister_wavey

No cloud, no Moon: I'm hoping to get up to the Radio Masts site Friday evening. Maybe see some of you there?

(51.7899076,-3.0704212 for those who don't know the location - you can plug those values into google maps. There's a car park by the masts.)

No cloud, no Moon: I'm hoping to get up to the Radio Masts site Friday evening. Maybe see some of you there?

(51.7899076,-3.0704212 for those who don't know the location - you can plug those values into google maps. There's a car park by the masts.)

Looks good for your short notice meet, at the moment conditions appear favourable till midnight.  :smiley:  As Abergavenny is close to the site, you have the advantage to comment on the actual weather conditions perceived, along with those of the forecast.  Around 15:00 (3:00 pm) would be a good time to post your thoughts for the group for tonight.  It would be nice to kick off the year with a clear night at Blaenavon.

Edit: I have a commitment out of town, so don't think I will be able to make it.   :mad:

Winds in Blaenavon 9-10mph on BBC Wales - gonna set up in the garden for a few hours I think - it might be frustrating with the neighbors and wife constantly switching lights on and off but for a first hit up I thinks its the best shout for me- looks like another chance Sunday night aswel folks

very clear conditions in abergavenny right now (4:20pm). There is a bit of wind, but not too bad where I am. Likely to be worse up there, of course.

I won't be up there until after 9ish due to family commitments, but I will be up there!

Winds in Blaenavon 9-10mph on BBC Wales - gonna set up in the garden for a few hours I think - it might be frustrating with the neighbors and wife constantly switching lights on and off but for a first hit up I thinks its the best shout for me- looks like another chance Sunday night aswel folks

That would be better for me give me chance to sort the focuser out and the rigel and potter about with it

Set up in the garden before it got dark and came in about 8ish don't know why but just not a good session at all. Seeing not great at all where I am m101 and m102 barely visible quite disappointed to be honest. If we have a decent forecast for Sunday may go further a field to see if I can get my observing mojo back on track.

Got up there just before 11, could see it was clouding over a bit in the back yard for the last 30 mins back home but hoped it was fleeting. Parked up at the foxhunter, opened the car door, and nearly had it ripped off in the wind. Whoa. Minus 2 and windy? No fun.

Looked up, and more than half the sky is covered in cloud

:( total bust.

(Also be careful on the track to the carpark, ice and snow left over from earlier in the week.)

(Also also, did the mast building always have a light permanently switched on? Need to block that somehow.)

.........................................   (Also be careful on the track to the carpark, ice and snow left over from earlier in the week.)

(Also also, did the mast building always have a light permanently switched on? Need to block that somehow.)

Thanks for the update and heads up on the road situation. It's frustrating when the conditions change, hopefully the weather will improve as the nights progress.  I haven't noticed the light on the mast building before, must be something recently installed ?

Although I could not make it up to the Foxhunters I spent the evening modding the skywatcher focuser with the lacerta mod kit, and then setting up the rigel and then trying out the new BST lenses I am well chuffed with them and the focuser. I had some of the best views of the Orion nebula and the crab nebula then I turned my attention to comet lovejoy and was treated to a spectacular view of the comet it appeared to have two tails as if there were two spurts from about 1.30 to 2.30 am. :police:

Archived