SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking after the 'scope

Still relatively new to viewing with a 'scope, so am I doing this right ?   A couple of nights ago I was out viewing Lovejoy for just under two hours.  I noticed on moving the set-up back into the shed a thin film of condensation had formed on the outside of the tube.  I therefore left the eyepiece 'guard' out of it's housing and also one of the caps to the 'scopes lens cover off - this in the hope that any condensation that may have formed inside the tube could dissipate.  Is this the correct way to look after the telescope or have I dropped a clanger here.... ?

Many thanks in advance for your advice  :wink:

That's what I usually do. I leave the lens cap off the tube and caps off the eyepieces and also tilt the tube a bit to let any moisture run out overnight. Then put the caps back on in the morning and put the stuff away.

Hey.

Advice that was given to me by various sources is: (i have followed it) 

But want to confirm here also with others if this is the right way to handle things!

- If there already has dew formed, leave it uncovered, tilting scope down (so not too much dust settles) leave eyepiece opening open, optionally (and i do) put a thin cloth over it so dust doesn't get in too much, but air can still flow

- If no dew formed yet, pack scope up (if you have some kind of sealing box that does not let lots of air in) lenses covered, and put it in the storage area (where it will be warmer) and leave it there for a few hours (or even until the morning) so it can acclimate.

Then check it the next morning, if you don't see anything, everything is ok.

In this variant: DO NOT 'peek' at the lense (don't uncover it, even quickly) or immediately dew will form if you are in a noticeably warmer storage place

What do the others think about this?

Regards, Graem

I ordered a few silica gel sachet things and leave them inside of the cap for when storing the mak pointing downwards. I store my mak inside at the moment so not much an issue as it evaporates pretty quickly, but wife will want me to store it in the shed in the near future which will have a lot more moisture - especially with the tumble dryer in there too, so I'll probbaly need a dehumidifier as well. When I have finished viewing outside I put the EP cap and scope cap on straight away before bringing it in.

Hey.

Advice that was given to me by various sources is: (i have followed it) 

But want to confirm here also with others if this is the right way to handle things!

- If there already has dew formed, leave it uncovered, tilting scope down (so not too much dust settles) leave eyepiece opening open, optionally (and i do) put a thin cloth over it so dust doesn't get in too much, but air can still flow

- If no dew formed yet, pack scope up (if you have some kind of sealing box that does not let lots of air in) lenses covered, and put it in the storage area (where it will be warmer) and leave it there for a few hours (or even until the morning) so it can acclimate.

Then check it the next morning, if you don't see anything, everything is ok.

In this variant: DO NOT 'peek' at the lense (don't uncover it, even quickly) or immediately dew will form if you are in a noticeably warmer storage place

What do the others think about this?

Regards, Graem

Hi Graem, that's about the same as I do.    Before putting the scope in a case, you can wipe off any dew from exterior surfaces with an absorbent cloth or paper kitchen towel, interior damp on optical surfaces should of course be left to dry naturally.

Checking for any damp the following day is important too. Silica gel as mentioned is a good idea as well.

Regards, Ed.

Hi Graem, that's about the same as I do.    Before putting the scope in a case, you can wipe off any dew from exterior surfaces with an absorbent cloth or paper kitchen towel, interior damp on optical surfaces should of course be left to dry naturally.

Checking for any damp the following day is important too. Silica gel as mentioned is a good idea as well.

Regards, Ed.

With wiping off exterior dew you mean EXCEPT on the corrector lense i hope? :)

Archived