Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tuesday the 6th of January 2015 cambridge

This is for anyone living in cambridge today we have a clear night for a long time and i am not going to miss it is there going to be anything in the sky worth looking at ( just say what to look at on what date but if anyone could tell me what to look at this time it would be great.

The main 'problem' will be the big fat Moon beaming down for most of the evening :grin:.

Even so, the Winter skies are gorgeous but do wrap up warmly. Other than that, these sights of nature are all quite stunning and beautiful to observe, even in relatively light polluted skies:

The Moon.

Jupiter.

M34, M41, M42, M46, M76, M78, M93

NGC 869, 884, 957, 1023, 1245, 1528, 1545, 2022, 2071, 2186, 2174, 2175, 2237, 2261, 2264, 2280, 2359, 2392, 2438.

Happy hunting and let us know how you get along :biggrin:

Clear it was.

But the "seeing" was awful. You could look at a star in good focus and watch it bloat into a fuzzy ball and back again over a few seconds.

Don't know about you, but the last 3-4 months has had consistenly poor seeing.

From Cambridge

I know I'm 50 miles south of you but hope this may be positive in terms of what to look at! Seeing here too was not great last night, but I spent a happy two hours with the comet (easily seen West of Rigel in bins and my 6"), the Pleiades which as ever are just elegant and rewarding, and the delightful little wedge-shaped group of Sigma Orionis below Alnitak, which I had not noticed before - very attractive little doubles! Despite the Moon etc my socks tightened when later I saw the Great Red Spot (just, but a palpable hit nonetheless) and Io and Europa cuddly close together (thought I could only see 3 moons at first). I'm still grinning from the GRS the morning after :D

Lots to see and marvel at, even on the Wolf Moon!

Hi everybody i saw yesterday 2 things as I had limited time and the moon was not up yet.

I saw Pleiades which was great and Sirius which was amazing as the turbulence made the star look beutiful but I am not too sure it was Sirius

Overall i think it was poor seeing but as it was my first time using my new scope i found it quite enjoyable.

Hi everybody i saw yesterday 2 things as I had limited time and the moon was not up yet.

I saw Pleiades which was great and Sirius which was amazing as the turbulence made the star look beutiful but I am not too sure it was Sirius

Overall i think it was poor seeing but as it was my first time using my new scope i found it quite enjoyable.

If it looked like a multi-coloured disco ball and was below Orion then it was Sirius.

Archived