Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn - in between clouds

ian_d

Well, it's been pretty useless for observing for the past couple of weeks which has been a right pain. So, when the slightest hint of some clear skies presented themselves tonight I took a chance and got the gear out (despite a lot of high, milky cloud and the beginnings of a stinking cold, I fear!)

Managed to get some nice views of the Moon, although very wobbly seeing in patches made it a bit tricky. I'm waiting to get hold of a decent lunar atlas to start properly identifying what I'm looking at, but I'm fairly sure that I got some good looks at major features like Tycho, Plato, Copernicus and the big Maria. Unfortunately, the cloud obliterated things pretty quickly, so I had to hang about until the next break.

It came (eventually), and I decided to take a look at Saturn, just a few degrees north of the Moon in Leo. Again, despite some rubbish seeing, I got an occasional good look at the planet and a couple of bright satellites (Titan and Rhea). I also saw what looked like a darkish band across the southern hemisphere of the planet, which was a first for me...and I thought I could see the Cassini division on a couple of occasions, but again the seeing was so variable that as soon as I thought I'd seen it, it was gone again - so inconclusive at best.

Did try to take a photo of Saturn, for a laugh - just pointed my point-and-click camera down the eyepiece and snapped. The results are better than I expected, to be fair!

4597_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I was out with the Dob having a look at the ringed one (and imaging with the smaller scope at the same time) and I am pretty sure I remember 4 moons, two on either side. It felt like fair-to-good seeing but it was variable, as you say.

That's a pretty good result for a single snap! Great report too, and good to read that you got some brief moments seeing the Cassini division and some banding on the planet.

Archived