Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky-Watcher Star Discovery 150P f/5 (6") computerised go-to parabolic newtonian reflector. PD 1 Video camera.

alkrith

I am very quickly becoming enticed into A.V. Absolutely great posts on here. I cannot afford the loadstar camera at the moment . But reading great reviews of the Philip Dyer camera. Would the  above telescope be a suitable choice . I have also got my eyes on a Skywatcher Mak 127. Would I need to buy a focal reducer for either telescopes , or would I be good to go with just the camera package,  Thanks very much.

What are you intending to image?

A video camera tends to be intended for planetary and lunar imaging, then for that people tend to go for an SCT or Mak and even then add a barlow on. So a big focal length. The f/5 is more suited to the DSO long exposure side of things, a reducer being even more DSO orientated.

The original question was to be if planets and moon then there are 2 planets and 1 moon to image, Mars will not be much use for a year or so.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I would mainly be interested in DSOs , with planetary and lunar as a secondary option .  Another factor is that the skywatcher 150p will be a grab and go telescope ( all rounder ).   From your reply.....the way to go would be the 150p ........ What focal reducer would I need. I am totally new to this and stumbled on to this forum by accident.   Help soooo much appreciated !!

Hi Alkrith,

You do not need a Lodestar to get DSOs just a video camera. The beauty of a video camera is that it can give you live views of planets, the moon and the sun all on your screen. With the press of a button or two you can easily image DSOs near live on screen in 20 secs or less, excellent all rounders.

The PD 1 is capable of giving you exposures of up to 20 secs suitable for a huge number of DSOs. Other cameras worth a look are the Samsung 2000p and the Mallincam Micro, the micro can go to 85 secs and is to me a very good option and price.

Ref scopes I have the Skywatcher 150p and use a camera similar to the Mallincam Micro and for DSOs and planets its great. The key to DSOs is speed F5 or lower. The only problem with reflectors is trying to reduce they dont have enough inward travel for reducers to work with the cameras. This means some objects will be too big for the FOV.

A refractor is a good all round choice as it can easily use reducers an 80mm ED for example.

The Sky at night have a FOV calculator which you can input all your info, scope, camera and reducer or barlow and will give you a pretty accurate picture of what FOV you can expect. Input the eyepeice as a 6mm (equivilent to the camera sensor)

Hi Alkrith,

You do not need a Lodestar to get DSOs just a video camera. The beauty of a video camera is that it can give you live views of planets, the moon and the sun all on your screen. With the press of a button or two you can easily image DSOs near live on screen in 20 secs or less, excellent all rounders.

The PD 1 is capable of giving you exposures of up to 20 secs suitable for a huge number of DSOs. Other cameras worth a look are the Samsung 2000p and the Mallincam Micro, the micro can go to 85 secs and is to me a very good option and price.

Ref scopes I have the Skywatcher 150p and use a camera similar to the Mallincam Micro and for DSOs and planets its great. The key to DSOs is speed F5 or lower. The only problem with reflectors is trying to reduce they dont have enough inward travel for reducers to work with the cameras. This means some objects will be too big for the FOV.

A refractor is a good all round choice as it can easily use reducers an 80mm ED for example.

The Sky at night have a FOV calculator which you can input all your info, scope, camera and reducer or barlow and will give you a pretty accurate picture of what FOV you can expect. Input the eyepeice as a 6mm (equivilent to the camera sensor)

I have now decided  on this scope after reading the above post  Skywatcher  Strartraveller 102 refractor . It would seem to be a better suited telescope for the PD 1 camera.

Hi alkrith..I woild browse over the ..whats video all about, john is slightly ahead of where you are just now..you will go through the same issues as john on focus the posts will help you along.davy

Hi Alkrith

I would disagree with Ronin - video cameras with SENSUP (or integration) can and are used for DSO viewing (not imaging!). The PD! and similar will give you great views of the brighter DSO's (better than you can achieve with the naked eye in most cases) and in some cases such as M27 you should a see in colour. To be honest I've not had much luck with the planets with the SDC435 video camera (similar to the PD1) - webcams are better for this.

From experience these camera with their relatively short integration times (10-20s) are best suited to faster scopes and the 150P F5 should be fine without a focal reducer.

The 127MAK will definitely benefit form a reducer, I use a SCVT reducer on my little 102MAK with a MAK->SCT adapter.

You will need a mount with some  form of tracking - you may be able to get away with a simple RA motor, however I've not tried this myself.

HTH

Paul

Hello DoctorD

Thanks for the reply. I am brinking on the edge of ordering a Startraveller 102 synscan goto from FLO. I have a 10" dob for around my tiny garden. So decided on a grab and go telescope ,with the option of  back packing it to dark sky site a mile away . However after discovering this forum, I have decided that I would really enjoy getting into AV. Just thinking that the startraveller would be a good all rounder ( back garden scope as well ) and the Phil Dyer camera wouldn't break the bank.  

Here are a few examples of what you can get all live, this was with the 150p.

The jupiter one is far better watching on Youtube the quality drops here for some reason. Enjoy.

Cracking Moon image Carlos!!  Look high definition! 

Hi Karl

Great results - I might just have to try harder next time!!

CS

Paul

Thank you Paul but it's all down pure to luck with me!  I still have much to learn with VA that's for sure but a few things that would have helped:

1 - I have two SCB-200P cameras, one is still as it arrived and the other with the filter removed.  One I use for Lunar and Planets the other for DSO.

2 - I was using Miloslick when I caught these and using the video smooth function.  Not sure exactly how that works but it does bring out a bit more detail.

3 - This I have to assume but, I am guessing the seeing that night was pretty good as I've yet to repeat the same views!

Thanks again

Karl

Archived