Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick Question Regarding Mounts...

Hi,

I have a Celestron CG-4 mount which holds my 6" newt, which weighs about 5.5 KG

What would be the biggest refractor, reflector, Maksutov and SCT that this mount could comfortably hold?

Also, what is the Skywatcher equivalent to the CG-4

Thanks!

Never compared the 2 directly but the Celestron scopes on a CG-4 are normally the same apature as the Skywatchers on a EQ3-2 so it makes a good comparison. If you go above a 6 inch newt I would say you would need a bigger mount or its not going to cut the mustard and if you are doing photography then it would be a definate need to upgrade.

Hope this helps :afro:

I think the CG4 is the same as Skywatcher's EQ3 mount in terms of design but the Celestron versions sometimes have uprated parts in them. The magic number you need to look at is the rated payload in regard to mounts. Lets say an EQ3/CG4 has a rated payload of 7 kilos for example, what that means it'll be able to take any design of scope up to that weight.

Tony..

I did once have an Explorer 200P on my EQ3 but it was a tad shakey to say the least. Perhaps a beefier tripod, such as the HEQ5 tripod, may have helped but i don't think so. It was rock steady with the ED100, ST120, 6" Eclipse Mak and perhaps even a C8 (never tried but it only weighs 7kg and is short).

Russ

Archived