NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron CGE Guiding & PC Control

Hi,

Sorry for basic questions but hoping someone here has a guiding setup on a Celestron CGE...

I'm just in the process of converting to PC control for my CGE mount. The CGE has a PC Port (into which my PC is plugged) and an Autoguide Port.

I'd like set up a guide scope/camera and intend running PHD on the PC but am unsure how to connect the guide camera (ZWO ASI 120 MC - it has an ST-4 port) to the PC and mount.

Should I:

(a) Connect the camera direct to the autoguide port on the mount? If so does PHD, running on the PC, communicate with the camera via the mount? And are guide commands issued from PHD to the mount via PC port on the mount?

Or...

( B) Should I connect the camera direct to the PC, where PHD will be running (assume I would ignore the ST-4 port on the ASI and connect using the USB A- B). Then connect the PC to the autoguide port on the mount using a GPUSB cable. The PC also being connected via the PC Port?

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

Is your mount cge or the newer cge pro? Either way they are the same under the skin with more or less the same electronics.

I have been guiding with my cge for years now and run the guide cam (qhy5) st4 straight to the mount. The guide cam usb goes to the pc where I run phd. I also run the mount direct from pc via nexremote but that doesnt really have much to do with imaging as the guide cam sends signal direct to mount via st4

I would have thought that if you are controlling the mount via an ASCOM driver via a serial/USB cable of some description (like you say you are) then you can use either ASCOM to send guide pulses to guide (via the same serial cable you are controlling the mount with) or use the on-camera guide port to mount (using an ST4 cable) to guide. This is selectable from PHD(2).

Using the ASCOM pulse guiding method requires 1 less wire (the one from the camera ST4 port to the mount's auto-guide port).

If you are not connecting your mount to the PC directly then you will need to use the ST4 port of the guide camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hey guys, just getting started with autoguiding as well. I am trying to use a celestron skyris camera to guide. The celestron site says to plug the cam into your pc and have the CGE connected to the PC as well then start up Php. My question is - Does the CGE have to be turned off when you plug it in to the PC or after? Or, should it just auto connect? PHP says it is connected to the mount and to the camera, but when it locks on a star no corrections are being sent to the mount.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone uses a skyris to guide and your process.

Thanks!

Don

3 hours ago, donniewaffle said:

Hey guys, just getting started with autoguiding as well. I am trying to use a celestron skyris camera to guide. The celestron site says to plug the cam into your pc and have the CGE connected to the PC as well then start up Php. My question is - Does the CGE have to be turned off when you plug it in to the PC or after? Or, should it just auto connect? PHP says it is connected to the mount and to the camera, but when it locks on a star no corrections are being sent to the mount.

I guess I am just wondering if anyone uses a skyris to guide and your process.

Thanks!

Don

I use a Skyris Don..but with a cgem.. you have to use celestron platform 6 with the ascom drivers..i dig out what David Hinds kindly sent..

Thank you for contacting David Hinds Limited.

Please see the following article to assist you

http://www.celestron.com/support/knowledgebase/articles/how-do-i-use-skyris-as-an-autoguider

Archived