Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Filter Upgrade?

For a while, I've been using a home made white light filter on my 70mm refractor. Although it has served me well, My craftsmanship was not brilliant and it will not last indefinitely. I also suspect that the poor telescope's lens is faulty. 

So I was thinking of potentially buying a "proper" filter for my Skyliner-200P; here.

This could be a stupid question but would I get more detail from the sun (can I see granulation clearer etc.) by choosing this? Although my refractor is on it's last legs (so to speak) it can still do solar viewing just fine but would I be better of buying the AstroZp filter for my dob? 

For the granulation you need the Ha and CaK filtering that come with a dedicated solar scope Lunt, Coronado etc.

The link says AstroZap Baader Solar filter, it is made from Baader solar film which I heavily suspect is what your home made one is made from.

I have 100mm refractor Baader Solar filter and 250mm 6.3f/r SCT Baader Solar filter and the views are comparable , longer focal lengths produce bigger views of less disc.

For more detail you need to spend more money from Herschel wedge to skies the limit.

Dave

My experience has generally been that the daytime seeing on a sunny day is the limiting factor rather than the aperture of the scope. With my 60mm solar scope the maximum useful magnification is usually about 40x so with the 50x per inch rule of thumb, any aperture greater than 30mm would be seeing limited! This is in Australia though, a cold place like Scotland may have steadier air for solar observing. I still doubt that one would reach the diffraction limit of a 70mm refractor though :)

Archived