NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 Not Slewing properly

New to this lounge and new to astronomy. Patience please...

I recently purchase a new Skywatcher AZ-EQ6  mount. I am experiencing slewing issues:
1) Mount stops slewing in either RA or Dec axes (or both) during star alignment.
2) Mount stops slewing in RA and Dec axes during manual slewing, usually after slewing for about 15 degrees, in both directions.
3) Mount will sometimes continue slewing very slowly, way past the selected object, for a very long time until I manually have to stop the slew - say after 30 minutes or longer.

I have downloaded the latest SynScan version, but the problem with manual slewing tells me I have big problems. I visited Skywatcher website and it appears I need to brush up on my Mandarin since they are located in China.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as right now I simply have a beautiful brick.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume that you are using the hand control (not EQMOD) and that you know how to set up the mount. I never used a hand control so I don't know what's in there.

All I can say is to clear all star sync's (if there are any) and clear all slew limits (if there are any) and give it another shot. At this point I think it is better to assume operator error and not a mount issue. Operator error can be fixed from here (by somebody who knows the hand controller) but if it is a mount issue then it needs to be returned.

Hopefully somebody else with more knowledge of the hand control will come along and help you.

Miguel

You will get asked it - what is the power source and how good is it?

The Skywatcher items seem to need a good solid power supply, if at all low they do things that are intended to annoy us.

I think that the handset will tell you the voltage it is seeing, if so, and if you can find it, go check it.

Thanks for that input. I checked the voltage. One power source which is a portable emergency car starter battery with dc (and ac) hookup provides 21.5 v. The Kendrick power supply provides 17.3 v with 5 amp. The Skywatcher manual recommends 11 to 16 v max. I hope I have not damaged the motor controller. Is there an easy way to control the input voltage?

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks for that input. I checked the voltage. One power source which is a portable emergency car starter battery with dc (and ac) hookup provides 21.5 v. The Kendrick power supply provides 17.3 v with 5 amp. The Skywatcher manual recommends 11 to 16 v max. I hope I have not damaged the motor controller. Is there an easy way to control the input voltage?

I appreciate your comments.

Hi Larry,

Welcome to SGL.

Neither power supply specified is SAFE or suitable for your mount... you will burn out the motors and/or mount electronics.

16v DC is the absolute maximum allowable.

You need to get hold of a 12v / 50 - 60Ah leisure battery (which fully charged will give you 13.8vDC) or a mains powered Stabilised DC power supply of 13.8v DC at 5Amps continuous rating.

Leisure batteries can usually be found at Motorhome/camper wagon outlets and a good electronics store would have a stabilised Power supply.

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Sandy. :grin:

You may want to connect the mount up to your car battery which will not be over 13.8v and see how it goes with correct voltage. Use the supplied power cable but be aware that the mount may already be damaged.

Did you connect the mount to both of the power sources that you mentioned above?

Here is a power supply available with or without cigarette lighter plug.

post-40350-0-04073600-1420327598_thumb.p

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS12KX-13-8-Volt-Power-Supply/dp/B0002JTD1Q/ref=sr_1_18?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420327316&sr=1-18&keywords=12+volt+power+supplies

Miguel

Just one other thought. You say you balance the mount, I assume you mean level the mount. But do you balance the scope in both axes? The steppers may be working too hard if not balanced, though that would not explain over-run.

Another thing to try is changing the rate. If it is related to a 'sticky' point on the gears it will be more noticeable at high rates. Does it relate to a particular angle or just time as you suggest? Does it make a 'pinging' noise when it stops or is it quiet. When the motors stall, it will make a pinging noise - like the gears are grinding. You can try these things in daylight.

I must admit the power source sound a good contender though. Does the display flicker when it stops? Because the drive is a stepper it takes gulps of power and it may not be visible on a voltmeter - depends.

Good luck

cheers

gaj

Hi gaj,

Yes, I did mean "level" the tri-pod. I follow the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount setup instructions to the T (or tittle as the Brirts say). I balance in both RA and DEC. Last night I plugged into the dc power slot in my car and behold - it seems to have the correct power voltage. I think I simply made the assumption that if you have a battery designed with 12-volt slots that is also designed to start a (dead) car battery, that it would provide the same voltage as a car battery. Don't make that mistake like I did. Everyone's suggestions were excellent - especially the power supply check. I ordered the Orion Dynamo Pro 17 ah power source. I will also be sure to always check the input voltage on the hand held SynScan device. I also ordered the ac to dc converter from Orion.

I am not British, however, my last name is Spears. So, in my family when we are celebrating something, we say "Cheers Spears". Since I think the problem has been highly likely solved...I say...

Cheers Spears :laugh:  

Hey Larry61,

I'm so happy for you now that everything seem to be working correctly, I was feeling quite bad for a while there.

I would suggest that you check the voltage of any other power supply that you may connect with a volt meter before connecting it to your mount. Most (or all) 12v batteries actually read 13.8v when fully charged.

Cheers Spears,

Miguel

I spoke too soon. I just bought a new battery for my Kendrick quad. It is a 12v 33 ah replacement for the Kendrick .I bought it at Batteries Plus. I also received my ac to dc 12v 5 amp converter. I tried them both. What is weird is the SynScan controller says both are providing 21.6 v. Why? The red light on the Skywatcher is not blinking like it was previously; however, I am back to square 1. I am experiencing the same slewing problems as mentioned in the opening statement.

Did I fry my motors? I can hear them, quiet, but it slews for a few degrees then stops (even manually). I can still hear the motors for a few seconds even though the slew stopped. The red light stays on (not blinking).

Are motors expensive? Are they difficult to find? Are they difficult to install? Should I even attempt to fix this myself? Any input is again greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

I would not try to fix the mount if it is still under warranty. I understand that you bought it new, if it were me I would call the seller and see what they suggest. Just maybe you got a lemon, it has been known to happen with the Orion/Skywatcher brand.

I agree Miguel. I am having difficulty getting a response from Skywatcher. I am hoping its only because of the holidays. I will be persistent in trying to get  technical assistance. Frankly, that is why I came to this forum is to see if others were experiencing the same slew issues as I.

Archived