SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to control a Dehumidifier

Earl

Currently I have this connected via a USB controled Plug so I can remote turn it off.

However id liek to use it more inteligentley, is there a humidity sensor that I could use to turn it of and on during th day? once its been left on via the USB?

Humidistat?

Most decent dehumidifiers have one built in and you can just set the RH your after and let it switch itself on and off .. Typically there will be a few % hysterisis built in to stop it switching on and of too quickly...

I wonder if you can get simple plug in ones like the thermostats...

Peter. ..

The first unit you linked could be used there would be some extra wiring required compared to the plugin adaptor type ...

I used to use a Lascar Standalone Logger to keep an eye on the performance of the Dehumidifier...  although these days there a lot of cheaper options available...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlascar+temperature+and+humidity+logger&_nkw=lascar+temperature+and+humidity+logger&_sacat=0

Peter...

• 1 month later...

Currently I have this connected via a USB controled Plug so I can remote turn it off.

However id liek to use it more inteligentley, is there a humidity sensor that I could use to turn it of and on during th day? once its been left on via the USB?

Hi Earl, did you ever resolve the control for your Dehumidifier and did you use the one you referred to  here. http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f4436aae0

Thanks.

Desiccant humidifiers do not like being turned off by having their power chopped as  it can damage the dessicant material. The compressor types would be OK, but they aren't really suitable for an obsy, as they do not work well in low temperatures.

Thanks for that Zakalwe. I'm using the ELA DD822 and have been for about 4 years now, its a great piece of kit.

I realise the importance of the disc and oven cooling, and it needing a run down period.

I just wish the unit would only come on and off when needed, I hate the thought of it running constantly.

The dehumidifier I use turns on and off automatically fine.  It senses the humidity and switches on if it rises above the set value and off when it's got the humidity low enough.  I just leave it on the LOW setting to do its business automatically :)

You wont go far wrong with the DD-882 ... They also work as very effecive washing driers at a fraction of the running cost of a tumble drier... which Is why I know have two of them....

Peter...

When I first got mine Pete, I showed my wife how efficient it was  (justifying another obsy purchase) by drying her laundry. The worst thing I could have done.

I had to but a second one so she doesn't keep using mine. :grin:  

The dehumidifier I use turns on and off automatically fine.  It senses the humidity and switches on if it rises above the set value and off when it's got the humidity low enough.  I just leave it on the LOW setting to do its business automatically :)

Does the fan run continuously? My DD**" runs the fun as long as the unit is switched on.

I'd love a unit that fully shut down when the RH reaches a certain level.

Does the fan run continuously? My DD**" runs the fun as long as the unit is switched on.

I'd love a unit that fully shut down when the RH reaches a certain level.

No, all is silent when the humidity is below the set limit.  Presumably there's some electronics running to measure the humidity but this can be minimal as with weather stations.

No, all is silent when the humidity is below the set limit.  Presumably there's some electronics running to measure the humidity but this can be minimal as with weather stations.

Cool!

I've ordered one on Amazon. The one that's in the obsy can be used in the house and I can leave the obsy one one all the time. Thanks for the info Gina!

Archived